Cerakote Oven Insulation

Coyote Shadow Tracker

LRH Sponsor
Anyone here made their own Cerakpte oven? I am in the procwess of making an oven and have a Western Steel Locker that I need to insulate. I would like to use a ridget type insulation that can withstand the heat. I saw some blanket type foil backed insulation (very expensive), but I would like something I could just panel the inside of oven to keep the heat in. I have the foam board insulation for houses, but it can't go above 250F

Looking forward to the pics and info. I saw a good DYI on www.ar.com, but can't pull the page up anymore. I looked for used steel lockers, gun safesbut couldn't find anything acceptical. Ended up with The Western Steel Locker 24"x20"x70" $314 from Northern Tool. Just need a good insulation now.

I used foil backed rigid insulation from an Air Conditioner supply house. Then used High Temp Red Silicon to seal up the corners and edges within a green small rifle safe. My build used to be on Sniper's Hide but I still have pics of it as well. Still have the oven, just haven't used it in a while.

P1060396.JPG

Definitely a CHEAP way to go, but don't think the heat gun will get it up to 250F. I have a 2,500 sgft basement I turned into a semiprofessional reloading/ammo stocking area, gunsmithing area with a cleaning station, area to work on firearms, parts storage, lathe & mill area, knife working area, welding area Tig/Mig/Oxy Acetylene, hunting/fishing equipment storage area, and a meat processing area. I am now setting up a Cerakoting area with a two stage-four-cylinder compressor, media blasting cabinet, Global Finishing Spray Booth and want to manufacture a functional oven that I don't have to pay some company $2k + for. I try to make everything I do as close to First Class as I can. I don't need a big oven so the one I am building will have enough room for curing several guns at a time. I will put all the bells and whistles with electronics for temp/air flow. I just need an insulation that's ridged or semi ridged so I can just install on the inside walls of the cabinet. I like that "foil backed insulation" that m1k3 used. I also looked at some products on the internet, which I will contact them for more detailed product details. Thanks for all that chime in with information to help me with this project.

Much like what was already posted. Simple insulation board from Home Depot, 8" hardwired burner, smoker thermometer and all thread for hanging parts. All totaled about $200.00. I also purchased all the electronics but learned this combo held at 255 degrees without it. Later, I added a heat shield so longer barrels didn't get too hot. If you need it to hold at 150, crack the door 1 inch.

Attachments

• 20210111_213100.jpg
    20210111_213100.jpg
    869.7 KB · Views: 72
  • 20210111_213027.jpg
    20210111_213027.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 63
  • 20210111_213018.jpg
    20210111_213018.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 61
  • 20210111_212906.jpg
    20210111_212906.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 76
Definitely a CHEAP way to go, but don't think the heat gun will get it up to 250F. I have a 2,500 sgft basement I turned into a semiprofessional reloading/ammo stocking area, gunsmithing area with a cleaning station, area to work on firearms, parts storage, lathe & mill area, knife working area, welding area Tig/Mig/Oxy Acetylene, hunting/fishing equipment storage area, and a meat processing area. I am now setting up a Cerakoting area with a two stage-four-cylinder compressor, media blasting cabinet, Global Finishing Spray Booth and want to manufacture a functional oven that I don't have to pay some company $2k + for. I try to make everything I do as close to First Class as I can. I don't need a big oven so the one I am building will have enough room for curing several guns at a time. I will put all the bells and whistles with electronics for temp/air flow. I just need an insulation that's ridged or semi ridged so I can just install on the inside walls of the cabinet. I like that "foil backed insulation" that m1k3 used. I also looked at some products on the internet, which I will contact them for more detailed product details. Thanks for all that chime in with information to help me with this project.
It was a cheap way to go and it gets up to over 300, thank you very much :) Feel free to spend all you want, but that oven has baked a lot of cerakote and epoxy coat projects.

Much like what was already posted. Simple insulation board from Home Depot, 8" hardwired burner, smoker thermometer and all thread for hanging parts. All totaled about $200.00. I also purchased all the electronics but learned this combo held at 255 degrees without it. Later, I added a heat shield so longer barrels didn't get too hot. If you need it to hold at 150, crack the door 1 inch.
Nice. My heat gun on low keeps it right around 175 and high is just over 250. I added a little burner from walmart and it gets well over 300 without using a quarter turn on the heat plate. Lots of efficient ways to do this that don't cost a lot of money

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.