Cerakote Flutes

Triple BB

I have a stainless barrel & action. The Predator action has a black oxide handle and bolt. The scope, rings & bases are matte black. Just wondering how the whole thing would look if the flutes only were Cerakoted a matte black. Anyone ever Cerakoted just the flutes?

I saw one once. I thought it looked great.?
Cant say for sure it was cerakote, but the flutes were black and everything else was shiny.

I turned my savage into a faux sendero with a black/grey duramaxx stock and then painted the flutes matte black with engine block enamel. It looks good and is easy to touch up. Stainless on black looks great. I know its not cerakote, but just saying i've done it and its possible

I just picked up a 338-408 in a heavy contour with intermittent fluting and Im thinking about polishing the barrel and painting the fluting.

112savage- has yours held up good?

I'm wondering how well it sticks to the stainless?

I decided to try painting my flutes as a first option. My local guy wanted $150 to Cerakote just the flutes. I went to an autobody paint supplier and picked up the best self etching primer spray they had. I wiped down the metal and then spent a couple hours masking. Sprayed three light coats and let it dry. Peeled the tape and cleaned up some overspray. I like it. And if it ever chips, I'll only need to mask the affected area and respray...

the flutes have held up well. One time I got some Barnes CR-10 on one and the paint just wiped right off like grease. Now I'm a lot more careful with cleaning solvents. I'm sure if you prepare and prime the metal then apply a tough paint and a matte clear coat it should hold up to most everything except for solvents.

Paul @ pro precision rifles did mine. not sure of the process, i considered doing it myself w/ gun kote read where they tape off the barrels and cut out the flutes w/ something round like a marble or ball bearing running it down the flutes.
IMG_1227.jpg

When cerakoting the flutes I mask off fore and aft of the flutes and cerakote the entire barrel. After drying a few days I spin it in the lather and polish off the tops. The flutes stay cerakoted and sharp. Now doing a bi-color, flutes one color and the rest of the barrel another is a different story. Much more time involved with masking.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.