Central Washington

I hate to rain on your parade, but I wouldn't bet on being able to shoot on the upper range (where the 600-1000yd section is) this weekend - Washington state long-range championship will be going on Friday thru Sunday, 0900-1600 or so. Before and after the matches, traveling shooters may be camping on the range.

Of course, you're more than welcome to come shoot some F-Class any of the days... just bring at least 51rds of ammo to complete the individual course of fire on any given day. There will be long-range practice on Thursday and Monday. If everything works out, I should be there Thursday thru Sunday - not sure I have enough bullets to shoot Monday too! (Theres another LR Regional the next weekend in Portland I have to go to as well).

See ya there. Unfortunately I'll be trekking back to Wenatchee each day to take care of stuff at home (online college classes, keeping the wife from getting too ****y about me being off 'playing', that sort of thing) so if you see me, I'll probably be busy with the match!

Monte

That's too bad.........I thought I might get a chance to throw a few rounds 1,000 yards. Do you know if the range part with the gongs will be open? I'd like to at least get some out at the 250, 350, and 450 range.

To be honest, the only part I'm familiar with is the upper range where the 1000yd range is, and I've never seen gongs there at all - nor a place for them. Considering how... open the view is up there, I was surprised when you mentioned the gongs @ 1k. Maybe they have a different area open that goes out to 1k? I think they have a section for BP silhouette and such... maybe thats where the gongs are at.

I'm somewhat surprised they have the gongs still. Last year some twit set the hillside on fire shooting steel core surplus @ metal targets (presumably the gongs) and the fire burned clear up the hill to the LR portion.

I've shot the lower public range. It's the one with the gongs. Unfortunatly the gongs are huge,like 30-40" which provides no challenge (at least they were last year). The lower public range has 100 yard and under paper shooting.

Ok, I've make it to Richland. I just got done eating dinner and about three beers after a long day of driving and golfing..........I'm actually going to have to work a little bit tomorrow........then going golfing in the afternoon. If anyone wants to get together shoot me a PM. I'll also probably be on the public range at rattlesnake at 0900 on Sat. just look for the two tall goofy looking guys shooting 223's and laughing.....that will be us.........and the best news is I just knocked over my rifle case in the parking lot.

If ya get a chance, you should be able to drive up the road to the upper range... the road comes up between the 600 and 800yd firing lines (we'll be at the 800/900/1000 depending on time of day) and then stays well off to the side so you should be out of the line of fire... I've seen other people drive up while we were firing and the ROs didn't seem unduly concerned.

Probably be mostly sling shooters and a few F-Class types. Just look for the biggest guy around, it'll probably be me ;)

See ya 'round,

Monte

What a blast! We didn't get a chance to head up to the 1,000 yard range but we shot the heck out of the gongs at the lower range. It was free too.
From talking with the RO's the gongs are 18". I didn't get a chance to bring my 270 but it was really fun with the 223. The only thing I didn't care for was the plinking range was next to us (with a tall berm between us) but as I was headed down range to pull paper on the 100 yard range (since I knocked over my case in the hotel parking lot) there were ricochets going over our heads.

Well, I made it up to the 1000 yard line. If it hadn't been for Monte and this thread I would have forgot all about the match. :)

Had a great intro to the sport, with some great shooters to help me learn the rules better and help me fine tune my equiptment. I had fun talking to and meeting other shooters, even if it was 105 degrees. :eek:

If you live in Washington or N. Oregon, Rattlesnake is a great place to really test your wind reading skills. For sure. .

Getting some more ammo ready for next week guys, Douglas Ridge.

Wow, can't believe it's been so long since I've posted here. Sorry if I seemed to ignore anyone.
Yes, RattleSnake is a nice range. I have to take another class for the 1k RO qualifications. Just waiting for the class to come around. Check out Welcome to TCSA and it list the sked of events and other interesting things. HAGO. JohnnyK.

It's been awhile

I've been busy with work lately, so I too haven't been on the forum for awhile. Actually, I am sitting in Wenatchee right now, heading to Chelan tomorrow. Milanuk, do you know Rick Garcia? I believe he shoots up at the Super Oval from time to time. I really need to get involved with that now that work and family are settling down a bit.

Is there stiil any interest in picking a Saturday or Sunday to meet up and launch some lead?

I know a Rick Garcia, but the one I know isn't a local fellow.

We have been holding semi-regular 600yd practices on the first weekend of the month since the beginning of the year: Saturday before the race track opened up, Sunday after they opened, 1300-1500. Pretty informal, normally ran as two groups/relays - one pulling targets for the other as we use 600yd MR-1FC target centers stapled on some plywood frames in our regular HP target carriers. We have a small but regular attendance.

Another fellow has some steel targets that he sticks up at longer ranges; albeit off the property per se (he has permission from the land owner) and some folks take the opportunity to plink at those from 800 to 1400yds with everything from .308s to .50 BMG.

Could be the same Rick Garcia as he doesn't live in Wenatchee. He used to live in Yakima, and I think he still owns a company called Tri-Tech Training. Anyways, he is the guy who got me into long range a number of years ago when I turned 18. Been dinkin' around with it ever since. Now I finally have the cash to be able to pursue it the way I'd like.

Sounds like the same guy... when I met him he lived down by Boise, I believe, and now I think he lives over by Bellingham? I think he goes by 'The Nailer' over on WestCoastTactical.com, assuming I haven't gotten screen names and real names mixed up :rolleyes:

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.