Central Nebraska Sandhills - 2022

JPayne6128

Our daughter and son had a good season. Our daughters first deer was taken at ~90 yards on a corner/ash grove of our East pivot. One shot heart/lungs with Weatherby Vanguard .243/90gr Accubond hand load. Our son got this mule on our West pasture. Shot was ~50 yards as he disappeared into a draw. One shot down through the heart/lungs with Winchester all weather .30-06/150gr Federal Fusion factory ammo. Both field dressed over 200lbs.

Attachments

• IMG_0774.jpg
    IMG_0774.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 115
  • IMG_0742.jpg
    IMG_0742.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 117
  • IMG_0778.jpg
    IMG_0778.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 121
  • IMG_6559.jpg
    IMG_6559.jpg
    972.5 KB · Views: 117
Last edited:
Yes Congrats to Sister & Brother, both taking Fine deer, and Special Congratulations to their Awesome father for laying out the ground work and making it all come together, Beautiful picture's and story . This is what keeps our Family Tradition of hunting alive and well .👏👏👏🥳🥳🥳🥳🥳🥳🦌🦌,Cheers!!!.

Congratulations to your son and daughter, and most of all, to your parenting! Great to see the rich American tradition of responsible hunting being passed on to our children. Thanks for sharing!

Calamus East
Nice deer.

Me too. We have a lease on a mile of the Cedar River + about 3 sections of the Sandhills.

Did it seem like numbers of whitetails were down this year? Maybe the sudden cold snap changed the habits? Been living in CA to long and I wasn't liking that opening morning weather. Good numbers of mule deer…my son passed on several before taking one.

Nice deer.

Me too. We have a lease on a mile of the Cedar River + about 3 sections of the Sandhills.

Did it seem like numbers of whitetails were down this year? Maybe the sudden cold snap changed the habits? Been living in CA to long and I wasn't liking that opening morning weather. Good numbers of mule deer…my son passed on several before taking one.
Thank You.

Are you North or South of Highway 70?

We all thought numbers were down. My uncle who lives in the Northern part of the county said he observed and heard the same. I didn't look at the deer check in book at the We-Mart to see how many pages were filled this year. Whenever it's real dry, disease can hit that area pretty hard. Our land is about 3 miles East of the Cedar. Our water sources are stock tanks, puddles, and a spring.

We get excited every year when the cold finally hits. That's when the dating starts!

Recent Posts