central mn yotes

gaha2556

The last couple weeks with the wind and 47plus inches of snow the coyotes have been few and far between.(10 to 40 below wind chill) Has any one been finding dogs and what kind of cover? They dont talk at nite dont seem to travel,even if they hole-up they have to eat

Not sure exactly where you are, but I am 20 miles west of Willmar and I feel your pain. We are over 50 inches here, and yote hunting is tough. We have had several nights of nothing. Travel corridors show little activity. It is tough to hunt when you cant get anywhere near them because of snow depth or the noise it makes getting to them. They dont seem to want to travel much either, so it is tough. Best bet is to locate them with a howler or siren and come back in an hour or so and get as close as possible to whatever cover they are using and call from there.
Mark

better day today seen 9 shot 6 all out of groves:) 45 miles west of willmar

Last edited:
Twenty miles from Willmar, anywhere near Kerkhoven?

Kinda narrows it down eh? Has to be Kerkhoven or Murdock. Seems like the last couple of days everyone and their uncle has been hunting out here. I watched a group of 3 trucks chasing a coyote here 2 days ago on property that I am the only one that has permission to hunt. I just left before the bullets started flying. Kind of frustrating. Posted signs apparently dont mean a thing these days.
Either way, hunters must know something I don't lately. I try and travel away from here to better areas and hunt here only out of convenience, but lately they have been hitting it hard here.
Mark

Yea the twenty miles did it, I am originally from Willmar but now live in California. Do you know Vickie or Greg Tompt? Do you know Jim or Jon Randall? Good idea to get away from flying bullets, be neat to call the Sheriff for those pricks in the pickup for trespassing.

twins- I know the Randall name anyway. Small town, you would think after 11 years of living here I would know everyone. I am terrible about names I guess.
This could be a good enough area to hunt, but with so many idiots chasing them with trucks, there is just no place for them to rest, and they are skittish to say the least. If I only have a few hours to hunt, then I hunt here, otherwise I head out further west to the Sodak border. Less headache.
The sheriff would be the least of those guys worries. The landowner is a great guy, but he doesnt like people disrespecting his property, and if he had seen them it wouldnt have been good! I was going to say something, but whats the point? The coyote was long gone, well educated, and they were obviously not the type that would have cared anyway.
Mark

Mark I went sw of Madison over the weakend to the sodak border and back nothing but hunters ,last weekend you had the Danvers hunt ,next weekend the Hancock hunt, the following weekend Swift falls or Clontarf. You can see the pattern,fishing isn't worth a hoot because of all the snow so everyone turned yote hunter. Its going to be a long winter!

Yep... it's crazy. I went this morning for awhile and saw 4 pickups surrounding a section. I stopped to see what the fuss was all about and there was a coyote in the middle of it. The land was posted, and I will just bet the landowner wouldnt approve of it.
While I am all for getting rid of coyotes, that isn't hunting, and the guys doing it aren't hunters. I sure wish they would get off their butts and call them or spot and stalk. This chase them with a truck program is driving me nuts. Its actually why I drive to Nodak to go. Fewer people to contend with, and the ones you see are actually hunters, not shooters.
Oh well. On a side note, I thought Swift Falls already had their tournament? Maybe they do two?
Mark

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.