Central Air Just went out

Mine cooked the circuit board this July on a 115 degree day. My AC installer had a new one in in four hours. Luckily I had a ton of spray foam and blown in insulation done in February. Hope you get yours repaired soon, hear it's kind of humid there in Ga.

Bust the fans out. Makes a world of difference. Also look into some hillbilly AC options for the time being. You'd be surprised if you got a decent ice maker.

The capacitor ($20) has gone out a couple of times on me, not fun but it's an hour or two fix once you get one.

Both times it happened in the beginning of the summer and it took about 6 to 8 hours to get the house back to 70 degrees. Luckily it hasn't needed any expensive repairs.

Now I keep a spare capacitor just in case.

what quit, unit outside or fan in the house. is it blowing hot air in the house or not. I can help you troubleshoot it, need info. the unit outside won't run if the cooling fan doesn't turn on. try spinning fan with a screw driver on unit outside, it could take off spinning, that means the capacitor went bad in outside unit.
Tarey

Check your drip tray. On occasion, they get clogged with mold/mildew and green stuff so that they will not drain. This causes the water to build up in the drip pan, and an auto-shutoff (float valve or similar) cuts power to thermostat. Could be a simple fix if that is the problem. Put bleach into the pan at least every month to keep it clear. I hope you get it working again.

I service my unit myself every year with a total cleaning outside units and inside. Did everything. Put new capacitor in last week. Unit is totally frozen up. Must have Freon leak somewhere. I have some R-22 and gauges from five years ago when I serviced it and it worked GREAT really cold and really hot. We use Heat Pumps in the South. I am going to put some more Freon in this morning and also call to get a NEW TRANE put in. Sucks, Probably going to cost about $12K, but it 14 years old and time for an update. Just wish that it wasn't in the 90s until we get a new one.

I service my unit myself every year with a total cleaning outside units and inside. Did everything. Put new capacitor in last week. Unit is totally frozen up. Must have Freon leak somewhere. I have some R-22 and gauges from five years ago when I serviced it and it worked GREAT really cold and really hot. We use Heat Pumps in the South. I am going to put some more Freon in this morning and also call to get a NEW TRANE put in. Sucks, Probably going to cost about $12K, but it 14 years old and time for an update. Just wish that it wasn't in the 90s until we get a new one.
When I get old they break simple as that ,anything older than 10 years old you are on borrowed time I got lucky and got into my new house without my old system breaking down it was 18 years old but I am a maintenance nut with everything I own and try to get the most I can

Put some freon in and it should work. If it has been five years since you charged it, the leak can't be very big. You can buy the condenser unit yourself and a new A coil for in the attic for about 2 grand. That is what I did and in the fall am going to install the 2 pieces my self and hire somebody to braze the pipes together and pressureize it and then pull a vacumn to make sure you don't have any leaks, then let the froen in the precharged condensing unit fill it up. I will PM you my number if you have any questions.
Tarey