Center-Grip Clean Sheet Design

QuietTexan

Seems like the Borden Alpine XP is a good option for the action, but what about triggers and linkages for center grip? And stocks for the same?

Thinking 13 twist 6mm for barrel but open to input on specific chamberings, mainly starting there because I have a massive stash of 6mm varmint bullets in the sub-75gn sizes. Varmints at 200 and in is the primary goal here, but ability to go further is always better so a second barrel isn't out of the question.

Or does anyone have an XP-100 they'll part with for less than a brand new action, barrel, stock, trigger, and 5oo rounds of handloads? 🤣 Used prices seem unreal on the factory guns.

Seems like the Borden Alpine XP is a good option for the action, but what about triggers and linkages for center grip? And stocks for the same?

Thinking 13 twist 6mm for barrel but open to input on specific chamberings, mainly starting there because I have a massive stash of 6mm varmint bullets in the sub-75gn sizes. Varmints at 200 and in is the primary goal here, but ability to go further is always better so a second barrel isn't out of the question.

Or does anyone have an XP-100 they'll part with for less than a brand new action, barrel, stock, trigger, and 5oo rounds of handloads? 🤣 Used prices seem unreal on the factory guns.
Are you left or right handed? What barrel contour are you considering with your first build?

Right handed.

Contour would be dependent on which chambering and the overall weight required for it, but I was guessing I'd end up in something like a standard sporter or light palma. Still very open to any chamber recommendations in 6mm, but the 6 BRA or 6x45 seem like decent choices if the velocities and muzzle pressures that come out of QL look ok. Wouldn't be against a 243 Win at all, but maybe as a second barrel with a faster twist to shoot heavier bullets from. Haven't called Borden yet but the website lists 223 and 308 bolt faces, makes me think the 6 PPC/ 6 ARC are out.

Last edited:
Right handed.

Contour would be dependent on which chambering and the overall weight required for it, but I was guessing I'd end up in something like a standard sporter or light palma. Still very open to any chamber recommendations in 6mm, but the 6 BRA or 6x45 seem like decent choices if the velocities and muzzle pressures that come out of QL look ok. Wouldn't be against a 243 Win at all, but maybe as a second barrel with a faster twist to shoot heavier bullets from. Haven't called Borden yet but the website lists 223 and 308 bolt faces, makes me think the 6 PPC/ 6 ARC are out.
They make magnum bolt face as well, they're building me a 25 saum now. Delivery times are long, so order soon.

SemperFi

Yeah the wait is going to be tough, but I just picked up two new rifles to work on for the next year so I have something to occupy me thankfully. I try to build a year in advance so every summer a new something comes in and I don't get pinched on wait times.

I go to the shop here any there are guys lining up to get rifles for THIS YEAR's hunting season, they're already way too late to the game - but judging by the amount of factory ammo that goes with some of these guns they might only ever get shot 20 times. Different strokes I guess.

Any advice re: what chamber to use in 6mm? To be honest I haven't really dug into short barrel ballistics in larger calibers, so I'm just rooting around in QL seeing what looks possible.

Yeah the wait is going to be tough, but I just picked up two new rifles to work on for the next year so I have something to occupy me thankfully. I try to build a year in advance so every summer a new something comes in and I don't get pinched on wait times.

I go to the shop here any there are guys lining up to get rifles for THIS YEAR's hunting season, they're already way too late to the game - but judging by the amount of factory ammo that goes with some of these guns they might only ever get shot 20 times. Different strokes I guess.

Any advice re: what chamber to use in 6mm? To be honest I haven't really dug into short barrel ballistics in larger calibers, so I'm just rooting around in QL seeing what looks possible.
Not really into 6mm, use mostly 257 or 7mm. [Specialty pistols] One 6.5x47 Dominator. 250 savage AI, 280AI.

SemperFi

Any advice on a 6mm pistol cartridge for varmint weight bullets? Trying to get the action ordered in early September if every goes according to plan. At thing point I'm probably going to do a 13 twist 243 Win since I have components out to wazoo for it.

Have you looked at the 6mm Remington. It's got a wee bit more case capacity and slightly heavier bullet.

Any advice on a 6mm pistol cartridge for varmint weight bullets? Trying to get the action ordered in early September if every goes according to plan. At thing point I'm probably going to do a 13 twist 243 Win since I have components out to wazoo for it.
I would probably still go with a 10T, as it would give you more flexibility, if you wanted to hunt deer sized game.
Even factory Remington 243 Winchester rifles have a 1-9.13 twist, and they handle the lighter weight bullets fine.
If you know you are only going to shoot the light weights, I would go with a 12T.

200 yard varmint cartridges with a .473 (308 Win) bolt face:
6BR
6 Dasher
6 BRA
6GT
6x47 Lapua
6 Creedmoor
243 Winchester
6mm Remington
6mm-284
The easy button is those that are not wildcats: 6 BR, 6 GT, 6 Creed, 243 Win, and 6mm Rem.
Good brass components: 6BR, 6 GT, 6 Creed, and 243 Winchester

I am going to move my Remington Custom shop 6 BR XP-100, and I have killed pd's and antelope with it past 200 yards.

zUdxNasl.jpg

I also have a 6 Dasher XP, I used to have a 6x47 Lapua MOA pistol, I have several 6 Creed XP's (I gave my 243 Winchester 8T XP barrel to a youth hunter), I have never had a 6mm Rem XP, and I have a 6mm-284 XP-100

6BR Custom Shop XP: https://www.longrangehunting.com/threads/deer-antelope-and-a-coyote.228400/

6-284 XP: https://www.longrangehunting.com/threads/filled-my-last-two-antelope-tags.252627/

I would be glad to give MV's with any of these, but all of mine, except that 6BR Custom Shop XP are fast twist barrels, and I am shooting the 103-109 in them

Last edited:
15.75" 6 Creed with the 105 A-Max 2780 fps
16" 6 Creed with the 103 (factory) 2791, and the same HSP with factory 108 is 2704 fps
17" 6 Dasher with the 105 JLK's is 2700 fps
15" 6XC (Good brass available with this cartridge too) with the 107 SMK is 2731 fps
15" 1-8 twist 6 BR with the 105 A-Max is 2380 fps
16" 6mm-284 with the 90 grain Nosler AB is 2900 fps
15" 6mm Long Dasher with 105 Hybrids is 2775 fps
15" 6mm BR Rem Custom Shop with old Factory 100 grain Corelokt is 2520 fps
18" rear-grip 6 Creed with 103 Vapor trail is 2893 fps.

I talked with the smith who is going to put it together, emailed a bunch of suppressor companies, ran a bunch of numbers, and now looking over this (many thanks Ernie) I came up with 12.5" 6BR in a 10 twist. I was pretty happy to see you mention the 6BR because it came up from both the smith and a suppressor company.

The breakdown of the logic is:
308 boltface - 6x45 was another contenter but I don't want to limit the action in the future with the smaller boltface
Will almost hit 3k with the 55-64gn bullets I have an excessive supply of (and will hopefully pop armadillos like balloons 🤠)
Fast enough twist that I can probably get a 90gn Nosler BT out of it at realistic feeder-hunting distances in TX (50-100 yards)
And if not Hammer makes the 55gn HH and 71gn SH spec'd for a 12 twist that will drop the skinny scrawny deer we have here
Small enough case capacity to run the suppressor on the short barrel

Right now I'm going over the Lilja XP contour chart to get a good shoulder for the can at a 12.5" finish, and also want to make sure I clear the end of the stock at that length.

I have a couple of Lilja Barrels from Carson, and they are shooting real good.
I think he may have a pistol blank length, that is cheaper-Give him a call and see.

I talked with the smith who is going to put it together, emailed a bunch of suppressor companies, ran a bunch of numbers, and now looking over this (many thanks Ernie) I came up with 12.5" 6BR in a 10 twist. I was pretty happy to see you mention the 6BR because it came up from both the smith and a suppressor company.
Right now I'm going over the Lilja XP contour chart to get a good shoulder for the can at a 12.5" finish, and also want to make sure I clear the end of the stock at that length.
You are welcome.
I like staying with the 308 boltface as well, in terms of versatility.
Yes, the 6BR is a good choice for a number of reasons, as others have noted.