CDS Turrets

Blacktail

I have a 4-12-50 on my 7mm STW right now but like the idea of being able to make quicker adjustmens in the field. I was contemplating sending it in for their new turret but has anyone tried the CDS? Also contemplated the huskemaw but for the price of that i can get to leupolds.

The CDS is a easy to use fool proof system. It can only be rotated once so you cant get lost in your turns. The only downside is you max out at about 650-700 yards depending on your zero.

I just set up a cds system for a friend. he was shooting a 300 wsm. his max range was 700 yards. I shimmed the scope ring with some 35 mm negative, i think two pieces. the system shot withen an inch or so for him at the various ranges, so Ya i supose it worked!

That is good to know...I generally set it up 2 inches high at 100 putting me with 160 accubonds or 168 bergers zeroed at 250..with these loads running at 3200 fps i should have no problem getting 700 yards..When you purchase it do you then contact leupold with the info and they run all the data? I like the idea of this over teh swaro turret..thnx

Yes, you call leupold with the following data:

Avg temp, Avg Alt, muzzle velocity, bullet type, weight, zero range, etc. You will also need the serial number on the scope.

They engrave the turret and then send it to you via ups. Mine took about 2 1/2 - 3 weeks total to arrive. I'm going shooting this weekend, but based on lining the cap up with the MOA turret, it looks spot on.

I have 3 cds and they work great one is on a 300 saum zero at 250 and I got 800 out of it the other is on a 300 rum same zero and it has 1050 on the turret for the price you can't beat em the zero stop is a great feature

Thanks for the info. I may have to sell my saro and pick up a couple of these one for the saum and the .270. Question though i unfortunately live a see level so when i hunt here up to say 400 feet i am not to concerned about it out to say 500 yards. However going out of state has always made me nervous. Obviously the eleveation can be up to 8-10k and colder. I know i can order a turret just for this application as well however i will still need to zero at home so how off would it be at say 500-700 yards at 8k and colder..thnx

good rule of thumb is MV decreases/increases on average of one FPS per one degree.

ie. you are shooting 3000 fps at 75 degrees and come hunting in Wyoming at 40 degrees. your MV would now be close to 2965 fps.

or Hunt in Arizona at 100 degrees and now MV is 3025 fps......

you could have a second cap made for 2965 fps @ 40 degrees 7500 asl.

you just need to know where and when you are going on avg. the extra caps are like $60.00

cheap piece of mind on a out of state hunt ~!

Last edited:
good rule of thumb is MV decreases/increases on average of one FPS per one degree.

ie. you are shooting 3000 fps at 75 degrees and come hunting in Wyoming at 40 degrees. your MV would now be close to 2965 fps.

or Hunt in Arizona at 100 degrees and now MV is 3025 fps......

you could have a second cap made for 2965 fps @ 40 degrees 7500 asl.

you just need to know where and when you are going on avg. the extra caps are like $60.00

cheap piece of mind on a out of state hunt ~!

Yeah i am liking the idea of these things for sure I can get turrets for calif and out of state along with different loads.. However i wonder how much change if you have to zero at sea level before you go. I guess you could recheck once you arrive.

the cds scope from now till the end of the year you get two turrets per scope so you can have one for home and one for your hunting trip if you do one for sea level and one at 6000 feet you will be good for your hunt there wont be enough dif at 6000 and up to make a big dif I hunt at 3400 to 1200 feet and my 6000 turret work good from the 6000 it is made for to 1200 good luck

Thanks for the info just curious how does this work. Buy a scope then send the turret to leupold with your info then they work it up and provide the second. Or does the scope just come with two and you have to send the in. sorry for so many questions.

all you have to do is call them and give them all the info and they send you the two turrets in about 3 weeks and you keep the moa turret that comes with the scope very easy and painless

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.