CCI BR2 Primers

Been using CCI-BR2 with extruded powder and they're fine and light the fire, so far, every time, but anything larger than 7RM, I switch to the CCI-250. The CCI-250 gives low ES in my magnum cartridges. I use CCI primers for most all my reloading, that's what is most available to me, most of the time, in the quantity I use, 1000 bricks.

Has anyone used these for magnum case application. Such as 300 WM. Are they used regularly for large cases? I know they're designed for large rifle standard cases. CCI doesn't make bench rest quality primers for large capacity magnum cartridges?

Call CCI and ask them what they think. I'm pretty sure the CCI BR-2 is just a higher quality CCI #200 primer which many find no difference in... so, could you use #200 in a magnum? well it's not recommended as far I know, I'd say the same for BR-2

My completely arbitrary and non scientific technique is I use mag primers on 60+ grains of powder and regular on anything less...unless the book says to use the other one, contrary to my logic:). My son runs regular CCI-BR2 in his .300 WM Sendero using about 68 grs or 4831, 180 gr Sierra Game Changers and works great...so there is that. As always, use the book, use common sense and do your tests...I suppose.

My completely arbitrary and non scientific technique is I use mag primers on 60+ grains of powder and regular on anything less...unless the book says to use the other one, contrary to my logic:). My son runs regular CCI-BR2 in his .300 WM Sendero using about 68 grs or 4831, 180 gr Sierra Game Changers and works great...so there is that. As always, use the book, use common sense and do your tests...I suppose.
I see a lot of people use 60 grains as a threshold, and I generally agree!! I have only found a couple of variances to this. In my .260 AI with small rifle primers, igniting 49 grains of Reloder 26 under a 156 Berger, I was using the BR-4's because they produced the best results with the 147, but found out with the 156 they had erratic velocities, like 50+ fps e.s., and s.d. #'s in the high 20's. Switched to cci small rifle mag primers, and boom, e.s. #'s in the teens and single digit s.d.'s.

My point I guess is, it never hurts to test different primers, to see what the most consistent results come up with. I have been surprised a couple times!! Ha ha.

I have run CCI BR2 in numerous 28 Noslers, 7RM, 6.5SS, 6.5SAUM using extruded powders. They worked great.
hello, i know this is an old post, but curious how your 7rm performed. i'm running out of 250 primers and considering using br2's in my 7rm as I have 1500. what did you see for velocity changes? for reference my 7rm is doing 2920 with 69.7g retumbo and the cci250's. did your velocities significantly drop with the non magnum primer?

CCI BR2s are basically a Mangum primer. CCI makes their "Match//Benchrest? primers mangum loads. Did you try the BR2s as see what velocity you are getting? Most PRS, BR "F" class shooters use "Match/BR/Mag"primers. because the are all hoter primers.

CCI BR2s are basically a Mangum primer. CCI makes their "Match//Benchrest? primers mangum loads. Did you try the BR2s as see what velocity you are getting? Most PRS, BR "F" class shooters use "Match/BR/Mag"primers. because the are all hoter primers.
I just loaded some up with the new primers and I'm going to test them today. Appreciate the response. Hope they shoot well and keep or increase my velocity.

my experience is is that CCI LR primers are not 'magnum' hotness. While I had wonderful results with AA-3100 using CCI br2 primers in my 7 mm RM. I had hangfires galore with R-19 using CCI LR primers in my 6.5 Remington magnum with like 10 grains less powder.

Let us knopw
So I got a higher velocity average throughout the charges I tried than I had previously with CCI250, also ES is trending lower. Had a rough average of 2920 with 69.1g, 2930 with 69.4g, and 2940 with 69.7g. I had a velocity average of roughly 2920 with 69.7g and CCI250s before. Only had sample size of 3 per load today however. I need to test some seating depths, but it's encouraging. Looks like I'll be using the BR2s.

Also for whatever reason my primers look better. I wasn't experiencing any heavy bolt lift or serious pressure signs before with the CCI250s, but there was a slight cratering with the primer. That wasn't apparent today with the BR2s.

I'm shooting 180g VLD Hunting over Retumbo in Nosler brass out of a 24.5" barrel. It's 26" finished with my muzzle brake.

Last edited: