Caveat - San Miguel Ranch

jeffbird

I pass this on to hopefully help others learn from my mistake and avoid wasting time and money. This year I decided for the first time ever to spend some serious amounts to go on a top end hunt and booked with this outfitter/ranch. They have a luxurious hotel like ranch headquarters and impeccable service with lots of nice gourmet meals. If that is your primary goal, you will love this place. However, they are running 100's of hunters through their operation and as a consequence the ranch is severely overhunted. I saw fewer deer on this ranch than most public hunting areas. They put up photos of the deer killed on their place which is compelling, until you realize that is the result of 100's of hunters putting in lots of effort. Also, a portion of the ranch is a high fence operation and the photos are not identified as to which are from the high fence area. Bottom line, in my opinion, money is better spent elsewhere if actually hunting and seeing deer is your primary goal.

Last edited:
Should add, I went to back to the tried and true method. Asked some friends who live in South Texas. They hooked me up with a rancher who was a friend of a friend who allows deer hunting for a fee mostly focusing on shooting culls to work on improving his deer herd. Turned out to be far less expensive, many, many more deer and an all around better experience. Lesson learned.

Just curious...have you gone back to South Texas for a true outdoor experience? Or did the commercial operation turn you off and you looked elsewhere...other states?

Yes, one of my friends introduced me to a rancher in South Texas who manages his land for conservation purposes including open range deer hunting. Spending time with him is one of the great experiences of my life. I've learned much from him about hunting, shooting, and just some good life lessons along they way. I will keep going back for many, many years.

I know thisa is an older thread but I thought I would ask. I just moved back to Texas and we are living in San Antonio. Does this person still allow conservation hunting for a fee. This year t might be a little tough to find a decent place to go but I would be interested in hearing what you might know of or places like mentioned. Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.