Cauterucio Bullets

G

Does anyone have any data on either the 156's or 176's with 7mm STW. (or any other 7mm for that matter)

Last month I double-lunged a 10 point buck at 525 yards with the 176 grain bullet. Cartridge was 7 Dakota in a 30 inch barrel.

74 grains of RL25 for a velocity of 3130 FPS. The BC does seem as high as I had hoped, about .750 according to my in-flight tests.

The jackets on these are made by Sierra and are about 50% thicker than on a matchking, I would guess. As a comparison the jacket on the A-max is significantly thinner than the matchking.

Last year I shot 4 deer (one shot kills) at ranges from 525 to 690 and got no pass-through with A-max or Matchking bullets. I decided to look for a high bc bullet with a sturdier jacket construction to gain pass-through for tracking purposes.

Bob's bullet fits the bill perfectly. The exit wound was just over 1 inch in diameter. Accuracy was about the same as the MK, which is sort of an accuracy standard other bullets are judged by.

[ 12-27-2002: Message edited by: Len Backus ]

Len, how many inch Barrel do you have? I have a 7MM STW with a 1:9 twist 26" Krieger?

Thank You

I removed the lube which I assume was only there for manufacturing purposes.

30 inch barrel.

The reason I asked about the lube is that bob said he leaves it on. Do you moly coat?

Do you have any Data on the 156's?

I have a 26" barrel with a 1:9 twist. I'm curious as to whether the 156 or the 176 would perform better in my rifle and what velocities I can acheive.

No moly.

I bought some 156s but have not shot them.

My twist is 7 but I think Bob would recommend 8 or 9.

I wonder what velocity I can get with the 176's with my 26" barrel. That .750 BC sounds unbelievable.

If I'm under 3000, I'll probably go with the 156's.

When you shoot the 156's let me know what you think and also the BC's you come up with.

Thanks for all your input. I appreciate it.

Happy New Year!

Warning! This thread is more than 22 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.