Cauterucii bullets 7mm

284stak

Does anyone have any experience with the cauts for hunting? If so, please post results --- accuracy, expansion, twist rates, barrel, and specific bullet used. Am considering the 178 and 189's.

Steve, If you want to try them for yourself, I'll give you some to kill a few phonebooks or newspaper with !!

They seem to be the same length jacket as the 176 gr but with the hollow point filled completely with lead. They are about the same length as the Berger 180s so a 1 in 9 twist should work OK.

The bullet diameter is larger than the Berger or JLK by almost .001 at .2848 !! ( at least the batch I got is )

I think Grit got them to shoot well in his 7mm Dakota but I don't know how they are going to work on game with the lead filling the entire hollow point ???

--- RHB

I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that the 189's are the same jacket as the 176's just filled with something different(i thought I heard it was the stuff used in dental fillings). I believe Bob is in california and can't use lead anymore.

I have used .8 for my intial testing. It has been accurate to 1150 yards. I am not finished or satisfied. Simply need more range time. I am very confident this number is very close.

Before my last purchase from Bob (the last name is Cauterucio), he confirmed that he is no longer making any 7mm 176s, only the 189 grain 7mm bullets. He also confirmed that the 189 grain pill is identical to the 176, only heavier as he now completely fills the jacket with amalgum.

I've been warned by two different smiths that the 189s may need an 8.5 or potentailly 8.0 twist to stabalize, and that the 9 twist in my 7WSM may not get the job done (I assume that faster is better, but my stabaization formula is also showing that a 9.0 may not stabalize teh bullet at 2,940 fps.) I have not yet tested them so I can't answer teh question for oyu, only bring it up so that you are aware of the issue.

Look at this page about 1/3 the way down and you'll see a picture that I took of the length differences between the 7mm Berger 180, Cauterucio 189, JLK 180 and Sierra 175.

7mm Cartridge Guide

JeffVN

I managed to end up with a nine twist barrel instead of the eight twist I thought I was getting.

For the record the 189's are stabilizing at 2920 in my nine twist. I am at 5000' with an average station pressure of 25". I would / intended to use an eight twist. But, the nine is working, at least here.

I have also gotten some astonishing accuracy. The nine may actually be ideal....Just enough.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts