Caught some friendly flak the other day

Southernfryedyankee

and I am wonderin if it was rightfully deserved. I was out deer huntin last weds, when 2 coyotes came within grim reapers distance from me and I CHOSE not to send them to their maker. I have no problems killing an animal that I intend to eat but for some reason I did not want to pull the trigger on these 2 yotes. I have killed deer in the past without hesitation and had the yotes been in a more human populated area (that was still safe to shoot a firearm) my feelings may have been different. Was I wrong for not killing them? My friend said next time we go huntin that instead of bringing a gun I could bring a nature magazine instead HAHAHA. I know he was just messin with me. Are there justifiable reasons for whackin yotes out just because they are there?

I could care less about whether a person chooses to kill coyotes or not. There's plenty of coyotes and their populations respond well to mortality regardless of whether it comes from hunters, food shortage, or disease. Personally I don't shoot coyotes but it sure doesn't bother me that others do. IF I were hunting deer than I would stick to hunting deer.

Years ago I became frustrated because it seemed I was forever running into ruffed grouse while hunting elk. I solved that problem by packing a light weight 22 pistol and shooting CB cap ammo. The combination was quiet, and effective; and although the round would not cycle my action it was a perfect way for me to shoot my limit of grouse in the heart of elk country without disturbing my primary quarry objective.

For me personally, if I had been in your situation, I wouldn't have wanted to drop the hammer on coyotes because the reason I was out there was to kill deer.

Just my 2 cents

Well, on a joking level I would likely have given you the same "messin" that your buddy did, just because it is the "funny" thing to do. I'm a kidder and joker and that sounds just like something I would do as well.

As to killing one or both coyotes, I admit I used to be an opportunist. In my youth I would have shot one and both if I could have just because they were dumb, hunting me, too close, or possibly had rabies.

I think most of us have either experienced or know someone who has experienced lag time on decisions to kill. For example, I have decided not to kill a doe while archery hunting many times when the opportunity was there. I have also decided that if they are "dumb enough" to just stand broadside for way too long, I had a change of heart and put meat in the freezer.

Also, there's something about really close encounters that keeps me from pulling the trigger. Just last evening on the final hunt of Kentucky with a crossbow, I was laying on the ground on the side of a shallow creek. Great ground cover and the crossbow was pointing down the hill at a frequently used trail. The wind was about 10mph from the trail to me. I wasn't laying down 5 minutes when 3 big Does come walking by at 4 yards. This was a very cool experience and I could have easily popped one (which is why I was there), but chose to enjoy the proximity instead.

So, there's my thoughts. As to close up coyotes, well, I can't say what I'd do in your situation. If I had a sense that they were aggressive, the thought of rabies might cross my mind and I'd shoot for sure if I was on the ground with them. If they were just close and didn't know I was there, I'd likely just watch, especially if I was hunting from a stand.

One more thought that is possibly a flaw in my character from my younger years:

10 years ago and anytime prior to that, if I saw a coyote and could kill it, I did. So back then it was an absolute! Not so anymore.

Here where I'm at I can shoot coyotes year round if I chose to. If I find an excessive amount of winter kills by coyotes I start shooting them as the opportunities present themselves. Probably doesn't make any difference in the big picture my shooting a coyote but I am part of the system so I try to be smart about what is going on around me. The month I spend hunting deer and elk I don't shoot coyotes or anything else.

Also don't kill rattle snakes any more unless there in my yard or populated area. Don't actually like them but they help keep the little critters in check.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.