Cast iron Cookware??

Picked up a piece of Lodge at Walmart this spring. It was in a pile with other Lodge in their garden center. 12 inch, two small grip handles. I think it was $19. Very nice pan.

My wife and I been cooking with cast iron over thirty five years now. One of the secrets is to cook slow and even.

I have a handful of Lodge cast-iron pieces that I've used for the last 9-10 years or so, and at least one piece gets used each week. Typically, it's one of the two 10" skillets, as the large double burner griddle and the grill pan don't get used too often.

This thread reminded me of an older piece of cast iron that I have- was my dad's, and his mom's, and her mom's, and I think maybe her mom's also. So, my great great grandmother? Anyway- he gave it to me after he moved out of his house way way back, and it's been sitting in my garage for about the last 15 years. I went out, unwrapped it (it was wrapped in a thick plastic trashbag and tucked away next to some really old camping gear). It was a mess- looks like the last person to use it didn't clean it when they were done. Looks like it had chili, or beans or both in it the last time it was used.

I took some elbow grease to it, and it's still a mess. Any thoughts on what to do? It's in my oven at the moment- I figure a good bake will kill off anything that is still lingering after the cleaning I gave it. I did NOT use soap. Just hot water. I then set it on the stove to heat up and steam off all of the remaining water. Pics below before and after I applied some spray on canola oil to it, then it went into the oven.

Any thoughts on what to do next to bring it back are greatly appreciated- I'm not sure what it is either, as the only markings I've found are "Made in the USA" and "14" because it's a 14" pan.
You have a interesting piece there. That I believe is what they called a skillet oven but you are missing the top piece which is a duplicate of the bottom hinged together creating an oven. As far as cleaning goes it looks like you have done a good job so I would use it and season as I use.

Last week everyone at the duck club wanted duck fajitas. My smoker was on the blink si i came up with plan B. Went to town and bought an off brand dutch oven at acadamy sports for 20 bucks. Took a round walmart grill and built a charcoal fire in it. Pushed the coals to the outside edge all atound and covered them with mesquite chips. Oiled the pot inside ans out, and added the meat. Put it on the grill uncovered, added the grill lid and turned the fire down with the lid vents. Let it smoke a couple of hours, then added the veggies. Put the lid on the dutch oven and turned the fire up just a little. Ended up with great fajitas and a perfectly seasoned pot at the same time.

Griswold! I have been collecting it for years and have almost everything they made. I use it everyday.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.