cast bullet lube question

wpwarren

I purchased 100 cast bullets from Midway and they did a crappy job packaging for shipping. The box was demolished and the bullets are a little beat up. They are hard cast so they still seem to be the proper shape, but the lube is missing off of one side of the bullet on a lot of the bullets. Should I be concerned or not worry about it?

These were not cheap and were supposed to be used for my bear loads for my new .44

I wouldn't say you need to be concerned but the bullet has lube grooves over its entire circumference for a reason. I'd lube 'em properly before loading.
Did your bullets actually ship from Midway or is this one of those outside suppliers that uses Midway as a sales outlet and sends out bullets when Midway notifies them of your order?

I would notify Midway and let them know what happened. If you shoot them I would get some lube and re-lube them before shooting. You can use one of the softer lubes like RCBS Green or Lee alox and just rub it into the grooves by hand. It takes a while but it works. You can pan lube them. Melt the lube in a double bowler pan or one large tin coffee can half full of water with a smaller can inside to put the lube in placed on some heat source. Place the bullets in a pan and pour the lube in until it covers the grooves. Let it cool and break the bullets out and smooth the lube around the bullet. If you have some or can get some bees wax melt it and mix 50-50 with olive oil. It makes a great bullet lube that works really well with black powder as well as smokeless for pistols. I use this for my BP cartridge 45-70 cast bullets. Keeps leading to nothing and keeps the fouling soft.

Thanks for the advice, at $40 per 100 I shouldn't have to do this.

At that price I would not do anything but call Midway. For the price of 200 bullets you could have your own lead pot, push through sizer, tumble lube and a Lee mold to make your own. If you are going to keep the bullets I would look at making some 45-45-10 tumble lube and tumble lubing the bullets.

Another good cheap lube to try is 2/3 parrafin wax, 1/3 Vaseline, and a 1"X1" block of ivory soap as a binder. Then a crayon of choice for color. A buddy and I have had good luck with it so far for being so cheap. With plain base we've had up to 1000 fps with no leading with 255s in a 45 colt and wth gas check he runs the 310s at about 1400 fps from a 10" barreled 44 mag redhawk. And I've ran up to 2000 fps with 180s in a 30-30 with decent accuracy and no leading. I'm going to bump the speed up a little to almost 2200 and see if it still works decent.

Kyle

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.