Cases dents when F/L sizing

Namibia

Good day gents,

When FL sizing cases every other case dents on the lower edge of the shoulder. I heard that its the result of too much case lube, but it still happens when substancially reducing the amount of lube on each case, although less frequent. I cleaned the die thoroughly and made sure that the "presure relief hole" isn't clogged, but still the problem persists.

I should also mention that I use Spray lube and that this only occurs when using RCBS - FL dies ( in both 9.3 x 6.2 and 7x57) but not when using Lee or hornady dies.

Also, how drastic will these dents influence accuracy for normal hunting purposes.

thanx

You're likely crushing the cases in your die if your still getting dents at this point. You may need to back your die off a hair and see if the dents go away. I've only hunted close range(less than 200 yds) with dented cases so I can't speak for that on LR hunting. I had no issues though up close.

Case shoulders get dents from one cause only, hydralic pressure from too much lube lathered on the upper body. The fact that you reduced the lube and get less dent's only shows that you still have to much.

Most noobs seem to put far to much lube on the upper case and less than they should on the lower portion. That should be reversed.

Die vent holes are to release trapped air. Case lube is far too thick and slow to move for the tiny holes to do much for that.

You're likely crushing the cases in your die if your still getting dents at this point. You may need to back your die off a hair and see if the dents go away. I've only hunted close range(less than 200 yds) with dented cases so I can't speak for that on LR hunting. I had no issues though up close.

+1

If the dents are at the base of the sholder the die it probably set to tight.

If the dents are all the way across the shoulder from the body to the neck
then I would guess that too much lube is the problem.

I don't lube every case for this reason. I normally lube every other one and this
prevents the die from loading up with lube.(Caution; don't run over one or two
non lubed cases through the dies or you may get one stuck in the die ).

J E CUSTOM

I have never get lube dents (or anything like it) because;

(1) I use an extremely thin film little on the necks.

(2) I use Imperial Sizing Die Wax.

(3) I never lube the shoulder (not even a little bit).

(4) As mentioned by boomtube, the lower half of the case is where you really need to the lube most.

- Innovative

"Those case dents don't hurt anything, but they look rediculous. If you continue using too much lube, your dented cases could develop cracks."

Last edited:
I got the same problem with my 338edge F/L Die. Dents on case, and I cleaned the case and Die after every 2-3 cases.
The problem it was I set-up the die to tight. Search on the forum 3-4wks ago "how to install a Die"
After I fallow the steps i removed the problem, and also no hard extracting cases from the action after firing.

"+1 If the dents are at the base of the sholder the die it probably set to tight."

Not so. How "tight' would that die have to be?

I reform 30-06 to .243 and even .22-250. That's pretty tight but I never see a shoulder dent.

Get the case lubing right and all dents will go away.

When i used to use lube gel to size dies, I would sometimes get too much on the case or in the die and of course, that caused problems.

I since have stopped using a gel lube and use Hornady One Shot. It is waaaay easy and works perfectly and I have not had one issue since I started using it.

Before I start, I also give the inside if the die a quick shot too.

-MR

Thanx for all the info.

Being new at reloading, I was unaware of a lot of the pointers given here - eg.
"....Most noobs seem to put far to much lube on the upper case and less than they should on the lower portion. That should be reversed."

I use to put all the cases upright in the case tray before spraying them with case lube - resulting in a very well lubed upper part (including the shoulder) and a very sparsely lubed bottom third ( which is obscured by the case tray).
No wonder the shoulders dented!!!
.....oops!!

Also, the thread on the correct way to set up the F/L die was most helpful - thanx 300RUM!

Will be reloading again over the weekend, implementing all these tips.

Thanx again

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.