Cases are very hard to remove from die

The Duke007

I am reloading for a 280AI. I have been reloading for about 7 years now, i have several different calibers that i reload for. The problem im having is when case is being removed from die about half way out of die it gets very very hard to remove. I have to hit the handle a few times and it comes out. I have cleaned dies. Im using imperial wax and case lube. Its as if its almost to much, where other calibers i have no problems. The dies are the redding full length and neck sizer. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

Just a guess. Are you using expander ball? If so, it sounds like interference w/ expander ball coming thru neck on up-stroke.

Just a guess. Are you using expander ball? If so, it sounds like interference w/ expander ball coming thru neck on up-stroke.

I agree

You can adjust the the location of the expander ball in the die. I find I want it very close to where the case comes out of the neck sizing portion of the die. Forster dies have a detailed description of where the expander ball should be located. Redding should have that information in the die instructions or somewhere on the internet.

you are using a dry lube on the inside of the case necks aren't you?

I am using an expanderr ball. I also dip the case mouth into the imperial wax. That way it lubricates inside and outside of case mouth.

When you say you have a neck sizer are you referring to a S bushing die ? Are you using a sizer ball with this die? I understand at some point you must deprime. IIRC the die sets come with a smaller "sizer ball" intended to hold the depriming pin in place and clear the sized necks.

Have to talked to Redding? 607-753-3331

What about using a body die instead of the FL die along with your bushing die? Then you don't need to use the sizer ball at all.

When you say you have a neck sizer are you referring to a S bushing die ? Are you using a sizer ball with this die? I understand at some point you must deprime. IIRC the die sets come with a smaller "sizer ball" intended to hold the depriming pin in place and clear the sized necks.

Have to talked to Redding? 607-753-3331

What about using a body die instead of the FL die along with your bushing die? Then you don't need to use the sizer ball at all.

on my precision .223 ar I use a body die and a lee collet neck sizing die. No expander ball needed

on my bolt guns I just neck size until they get tight in the chamber.

I am reloading for a 280AI. I have been reloading for about 7 years now, i have several different calibers that i reload for. The problem im having is when case is being removed from die about half way out of die it gets very very hard to remove. I have to hit the handle a few times and it comes out. I have cleaned dies. Im using imperial wax and case lube. Its as if its almost to much, where other calibers i have no problems. The dies are the redding full length and neck sizer. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

The happens to me from time to time when I do not have enough lubrication, esp. inside the neck area.

[ame]https://youtu.be/4CLqO2GYZLs?t=82[/ame]

[ame]https://youtu.be/zDm_nNkk1KU?t=28[/ame]

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.