Case weight vs volume question

Unofficial Gun Addict (UGA)

Guys... I've heard that separating cases by weight is a good idea when sorting brass. I have just recently decided to push past 600 yards and thought I'd take a step into refining some of my reloading practices. The problem I've found is that my winchester brass varies pretty dramatically by case weight, 161.7gr to 182gr, and though volume sometimes correlates, (the heavier the case, the less volume it holds), sometimes it doesn't.

My question is whether it really matters what brass I'm using (federal, winchester, nosler, etc) if I match the volume of the cases in question, or is the quality of the brass itself going to make that much difference compared to the huge differences I'm seeing in case weight and volume? (The above question is assuming that I neck turn all my cases to the same thickness, and have them all trimmed and sized with the same dimensions).

Thanks for any help you can offer.

It depends... If you want 1/2 MOA out past 500 yards, or 1 MOA at 100 yards, the brass you select and prep does matter as distances increase.

Maybe I wasn't clear. Would it be better to select my rounds based on volume, or by manufacturer. If you think both, what is your reasoning? I understand why volume matters, but why does the brand of brass I'd they are prepped the same?

I understand you. Some cases from different manufacturers have volumes that match. And if you mix the manufacturer but match the volumes you are more likely to get a bunch the same. But maybe some will handle pressure differently. I have a bunch of different head stamp factory cases and was hoping to match them by volumes as sometimes I only have a few of one headstamp but the volumes match. Someone will have done testing.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.