case weight variance ?

earlcurtis67

so I recently purchased some twice fired Nosler 270 brass for a good price, 150 peices, Didn't bother to sort by weight in the beginning because the few that I did weigh were pretty close in weight. I counted out 30 peices, then full lenghth sized to 25-06, trimmed/deburred, primmer pocket uni.,flash hole debured. While checking the neck concentricty I put a few on the scale to verify weight before loading and noticed a large variance, about half the cases were averaging 177gns and the other half were averaging 199gns. I guess my question is, is this normal to see this large spred in weight? I double check the cases to make sure they were trimmed to the same lenghth deburred, F/L sized and also the scale. I dont remember seeing this when working with FC or WIN brass. I will say though that the neck tension on this Nosler brass is very consistent. What do you guys think??.....E

That is a pretty decent spread for brass from the same manufacturer.

If you are looking for plinking ammo or short to mid range rounds, I'd go ahead and load them. For long distance or precision work, I'd sort by weight.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.