Case vibration

Electric hair trimmer, electric razor, electric toothbrush all work but if you don't have any of these, I'd use a wood dowel that fits in the case. Little push with gets you lots of compression. And very cheap. We use these in black powder when we make loads in the field.

Electric hair trimmer, electric razor, electric toothbrush all work but if you don't have any of these, I'd use a wood dowel that fits in the case. Little push with gets you lots of compression. And very cheap. We use these in black powder when we make loads in the field.
I'm going to try it. Thanks

Don't really like heavily compressed loads for all the above reasons. To settle your powder you can also use an electric knife. Hold the tip ends of the blades against the cartridge case. It vibrates the case very nicely.

Don't really like heavily compressed loads for all the above reasons. To settle your powder you can also use an electric knife. Hold the tip ends of the blades against the cartridge case. It vibrates the case very nicely.
another method to try. Thanks

I have a pressure trace, in conjunction with my chrony, I can attest to Mic McPherson in regard to packing scheme being fundamental to top accuracy loads over the actual weight.
I load/charge by volume, only weigh powder to attain specific gravity changes between lots.

All of my loads, even cheap hunting rifles, have gained more consistent velocities, ES & SD numbers using the swirl charge technique.

Cheers.

I always wondered on the volume question.
But how to do that? Do you develop using weight, and then calibrate some volume to best weight?

I have a Harell's culver thrower, but its not as accurate with charge weights as actual weighing, and there are significant disparities with some powders. What volume system is better?

Last edited:
Like this but from a pan & with a drop tube connected to the funnel.
Swirl.jpg
The swirling won't actually land as such. But you're setting a consistent flow rate and density of charging like this.

A old reloading partner had a vibrating plate and it worked great. I SWORE it was made by Dillon for flipping primers but I looked a couple of years ago trying to settle high volumes of 4350 into 6.5 CM cases and couldn't find it or one commercially available... if would settle a full case below the neck shoulder area in a few seconds

I always wondered on the volume question.
But how to do that? Do you develop using weight, and then calibrate some volume to best weight?

I have a Harell's culver thrower, but its not as accurate with charge weights as actual weighing, and there are significant disparities with some powders. What volume system is better?
I too have a Harrel thrower, I use the Lee volume charts as a guide, then measure actual volume by weight thrown. It's a bit arse about, but works rather well.
Then I only weigh new lots to see if specific gravity has changed or not.

I have found that packing scheme, rather than to the kernel weight, and in my case, volume, is far more important.

Cheers.

Wouldn't you be forced into increasing your COAL? And how well would a powder burn if you eliminate/minimize flame channels between the kernels?

I think my toothbrush cost around $2.00 at Walmart and works very well. When I started trying Sierra tipped Match Kings and there was not a lot of data, and Sierra advised using the match king loading data. I was worried about compression, so I called Sierra. They had separate powder chart they used rather than one I had from I think Hogdon. They sent me a copy of their load data, and that allowed me to use slightly less powder, same velocity, and no longer a compression issue. I also re-measured the seating depth, and seated at .020 off the ands. My problem solved.

Like this but from a pan & with a drop tube connected to the funnel.
View attachment 155487The swirling won't actually land as such. But you're setting a consistent flow rate and density of charging like this.
Perfect. Very smart.
I´ll try it today.
This method has its logic. It always falls with the same speed.
I hope it leaves me more space in the case.
Every day I learn something new. Thanks for your input Mike

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.