Case + Vel. = Accuracy????

G

Hi,
I was just wondering. Over the years, I've noticed what appears to be a trend. It may be only in my mind, but......

A .308 Win. seems to be most accurate at about 2600 fps.

A 30-06, at about 2800 fps.

A 300 Win mag at about 3000 fps.

A 300 RUM, I'd guess at about 3200 fps.

I realize that this doesn't take bullet weight into consideration, but maybe it does. If the bullet weight is what it takes to make the case "hit the window", then it would have a very real effect.

Has anyone else ever noticed this?
None of the books that I've read have ever mentioned this. Maybe because I don't know what I'm talking about.

Anybody with any idea, please enlighten me.

Good shooting.
C'ya. John.

PS. I don't mind a long response. JP.

Hi,
In thinking about it farther,
If you neck the basic case up, it would lower the window. and, if you neck it down, it would raise the window. So, if you neck a 30-06 down to say, .270, it would be most accurate at about 2900 fps. That would make a 25-06 accurate at about 3000 fps. That would continue to the point that it becomes so overbore as to be impracticle.
Does this make sense to anyone?

TIA.
Good shooting.
C'ya. John.

Darn,
I'll learn to spell, one of these days.
Should read "impractical"

C'ya.

I've not read anything on this exact subject but recently saw another post somewhere talking about this idea. There were few or no replies.

I don't have enough rifle chamberings and experiences with this to have witnessed it myself.

What I've heard is that the accuracy load is generally a bit below the max load but we all know about rifles that shoot better the faster it's pushed so that kinda blows the slower theory.

Wyojeeper

The correct spelling of that word is impraktokal---I think.

Incidentally, you guys can edit your poorly spelled words (just like I do) by clicking on the little icon above your post---the one with the pencil symbol. That way no one knows you got it wrong the first time you tiped it.

Warning! This thread is more than 23 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts