Case tumblers. Who uses them and why?

supercrossbmx69

I just recently starting putting my reloading setup put together and thought I should have someone teach me before I started messing with stuff. So I got ahold of a friend that's been reloading 40+ years and he is now retired and reloads for people on a daily basis. He tought me everything I should need to know but I realized in his setup he had no case tumbler? So I asked and he said he thinks they are pointless and he re uses brass 5-6 times on average. Are they worth the extra money and if so why? And which would be the best to get?

In my opinion it is worth every penny! I use a combination of media with a little bit of the Dillon Rapid Polish and when the brass is done tumbling not only do they look brand new, but reload much easier.

Especially if you are going to reload .223 or .308 that is shot from assault rifles
gun)they always seem to get extra dirty. I can't imagine reloading without tumbling first, though I have only been reloading for a little over 20 years, I typically reload over 20,000 rounds per year (10,000 seems to be .223 lately).

My Dillon press just seems to hum better for some reason. And maybe it's just me, but I think a clean round just looks better and performs better loading/extracting. Besides they are super cheap to by and use hardly any electricity (just "set it and forget it")

Anyone else?

All of the above.

If you want clean consistent ignition in your reloads you need clean cases.

If you want your reloading equipment to function properly you need clean cases.

If you want ammo that feeds and seats consistently you need clean cases.

All of the above.

If you want clean consistent ignition in your reloads you need clean cases.

If you want your reloading equipment to function properly you need clean cases.

If you want ammo that feeds and seats consistently you need clean cases.

This.

I used to wash all my brass and then dry them. being able to drop them in my tumbler, go watch TV, and come back to brass that is cleaner than I ever got it, and with way less work, is priceless

I have an RCBS sidwinder with three drums. I clean my brass after every firing with corn cob grit in one drum. I Moly my bullets with the second, and wax the bullets with the third. I no longer wax my moly bullets anymore.

I have a couple comments. First off, I hope your friend has good insurance. reloading for anyone other than yourself is an exercise in bankruptcy due to being sued or worse if someone gets hurt. Thats why ammo costs what it does, in part to the insurance issues.....Thats a big no-no

Secondly, as th charge butns in the case, it always leaves residue. That residue taks up space inside the case and can cause sporadic ignition, thy need to be clean inside and out plus the flash hols need to be burr free and unobstructed.

Finally, tumblers as well as media are a personal choice. Some like the vibrating bowl types, some like rotary. I have both. Rotaries like the RCBS Sidewinder and the Thumler Rock Tumblers are more noisy than a vibrator but can be run wet. Vibrators just humm. I have both and I actually like both so it's personal prefrence, like stainless tumbling media is a personal preference. You can buy enough cob, or walnur shll media to last a lifetime for the cost of one batch of stainless pins....

I tumble my brass for many reasons.

1= Clean cases are easier to inspect for cracks or defects before loading.
2= Clean cases show potential problems before they become major problems.
3= Clean cases don't wear dies as bad and size easier (Less effort).
4= clean cases chamber and extract better/easier after firing.
5= clean cases also retain there volumes better because of less powder residue build up.
6= And clean cases just look better.

Dirty cases ?= none of the above.

J E CUSTOM

I have a couple comments. First off, I hope your friend has good insurance. reloading for anyone other than yourself is an exercise in bankruptcy due to being sued or worse if someone gets hurt. Thats why ammo costs what it does, in part to the insurance issues.....Thats a big no-no

Secondly, as th charge butns in the case, it always leaves residue. That residue taks up space inside the case and can cause sporadic ignition, thy need to be clean inside and out plus the flash hols need to be burr free and unobstructed.

Finally, tumblers as well as media are a personal choice. Some like the vibrating bowl types, some like rotary. I have both. Rotaries like the RCBS Sidewinder and the Thumler Rock Tumblers are more noisy than a vibrator but can be run wet. Vibrators just humm. I have both and I actually like both so it's personal prefrence, like stainless tumbling media is a personal preference. You can buy enough cob, or walnur shll media to last a lifetime for the cost of one batch of stainless pins....
Don't reload for anyone unless you have insurance.

I use the Stainless pins, hot water, Dove and Lemon Shine. Tumble about 45 min.

Attachments

• tumbler.JPG
    tumbler.JPG
    840.9 KB · Views: 23
  • brass.JPG
    brass.JPG
    867.2 KB · Views: 26
I use a wet tumbler with stainless steel chips (found they work much better than pins) to clean fired brass that has been decapped first.

I use a dry tumbler with a mix of crushed walnut and corncob, treated with NuFinish car wax, to remove the sizing lube after resizing and to polish and add a protective film to the cases.

Also, I dip my necks in dry graphite or mica before charging and seating bullets to create a barrier to prevent dissimilar metal corrosion (often referred to as cold welding) and it also produces smoother and more consistent seating pressures.