Case Trimming

the "normal" is 10..but normal chamber has 25 or so beyond the normal case length.
my chambers are cut with a short oal neck.

The best way, if you are shooting SAMMI spec chamber and cartridges, is to look up on the SAMMI website and find your camber print. There will be two prints, one for the chamber and one for the cartridge. On the cartridge print you will find the max length, then look at the chamber print and it will show the distance to the 45 degree cut before the throat. That is generally 10 thousands but not always, sometimes more, sometimes less. So what you want to avoid is during firing, the neck stretching and hitting that 45 degree taper and pinching the neck down and creating a pressure spike. This can be more critical with a 20 degree shoulder vs a 30 degree or greater shoulder due to stretching of the brass. Bottom line, at the max trim length you will have plenty of room to spare, but you must pay more attention to your brass length, maintaining that trim length. Hope this helps?

not true
sammi is a lot more than 10 between chamber and case at the neck length.
the trim spec is 10 but the actual distance is much more

The best way, if you are shooting SAMMI spec chamber and cartridges, is to look up on the SAMMI website and find your camber print. There will be two prints, one for the chamber and one for the cartridge. On the cartridge print you will find the max length, then look at the chamber print and it will show the distance to the 45 degree cut before the throat. That is generally 10 thousands but not always, sometimes more, sometimes less. So what you want to avoid is during firing, the neck stretching and hitting that 45 degree taper and pinching the neck down and creating a pressure spike. This can be more critical with a 20 degree shoulder vs a 30 degree or greater shoulder due to stretching of the brass. Bottom line, at the max trim length you will have plenty of room to spare, but you must pay more attention to your brass length, maintaining that trim length. Hope this helps?

Your cases shouldn't stretch enough to make you trim every firing. The worst i ever had was a std 243. It and other cases with similar shoulder angles frequently require trimming every 3-4 firings. That's the reason I went to the 40° Ackley shoulder. It Really Slows down case stretching!

I measure my chambers neck length.
My comp barrels are normally around .040" longer than the max cartridge length...so I trim to be .005"-.010" of that length.
I anneal every firing and trim every sizing.

The worst case I have EVER worked with for case growth was the 375H&H...hence why I re-chambered to 375 Bee. Even after fire forming which SHRINKS the necks by .030" on average, the cases take a LONG time and many firings to grow back to even the trim length.

The AI's are similar to this too.

Cheers.

not true
sammi is a lot more than 10 between chamber and case at the neck length.
the trim spec is 10 but the actual distance is much more

6.5 creedmoor is 5 thousan. Top is cartridge, bottom is chamber. Like I said some are more some are less. Hope this clears up your confusion?

httpssaami.orgwp-contentuploads201902ANSI-SAAMI-Z299.4-CFR-Approved-2015-12-14-Posting-Copy.pdf.png

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts