Case trimmers

Happy with my Giraud. Great for high volume work and consistency. Does a perfect trim and chamfer and it's quick. Holding up well after 10kish rounds so also passing the durability test.

I have thought about buying a new trimmer, Borrowed a couple off friends and tried them.
Years ago I took a broken hex shaft nut driver, Ground the face flat and silver soldered a Lee hand trimmer base to it. When Lee came out with the hex shaft base, I bought one of them also.

When I buy a lee case trimmer set up for a new cartridge I carefully cut a case to length, Measure and adjust the shaft length with a stone, Have had to pull a pin out of 1 and add a filler put pin back in and stoned to exact length I wanted.

I sit in my easy chair watch TV with drill or electric screw driver, Containers on each side , Insert case in drill, Trim to length, Champher inside and outside of neck, If new case run flash hole reamer. Run some 0000 steel wool to clean case if needed. Put in done container and grab another case.

I have found no system as quick or accurate to change to yet. May just be getting old and lazy.

What`s everyone using for case trimmers? I have a Hornady and I have trouble with varying lengths? I set it for 2.840 for my 7mm STW cases, I take random measurements, some as short as 2.837, some long as 2.845? Is that normal , I realize that`s not much variation but not sure why I get even that much? I was thinking about 1 of the auto trimmers that go off the shoulder of the case? What is the best style of trimmer?
I own the Wilson stainless steel trimer. You can't beat Wilson for quality and consistency.

My opinion is that you should trim off of the shoulder dim. There are several trimmers that use this method. First you need to have control of your shoulder bump (setting -.0005 is acceptable for me). Then, your trim dimension should be within +/-.0005. How does this affect the overall reloading process? Not much.
You only want to be off of the neck/lands junction in your chamber, to keep the neck from binding against the step. The shorter the neck in relation, the more carbon build up you will see. The chamber diameter in relation to the neck diameter has more bearing on accuracy than length. That is why some shooters use custom reamers and or "neck turn".
As always, consistency in the process is much more important than how many +/- .001" any step produces. Whatever your process, follow it religiously, and you will have better control of your ammo.
That said, I use the Frankford Arsenal case trim prep centers. Having tried numerous others, these units are economical, and allow the throughput I want, combining the multiple heads to process various operations in several calibers. A bit noisy and clunky looking, they work great for me.

I have used Lyman Trimmer for 30+ years. Only things I ran into were 1). OAL can run off and case has a tendency to wobble if you don't pay attention. I would trim 10 cases and check my OAL to make sure I was not taking too much off. Last issue was if you are trimming cases for the first time and taking a lot of material, the pilot would bind inside the case neck.

I still use Lyman for 45 ACP, but I have switched most of my trimming duties to L.E. Wilson Trimmer. Wilson is very precise, but set it and forget it. Pricy to get everything you need if you load several different cartridges and it is time consuming on strait wall cases. Most of all my strait wall semi auto cases I still trim on my Lyman. I rarely trim 45 ACP and 40 S&W cases anyway. They don't grow when shot so the only time I have to check OAL is on new cases. About everything I trim now goes through the L.E.Wilson Trimmer. It is simple and very precise.

Back to the original question Lyman Trimmer has always served me well. I would buy over other collet trimmers out there. It is simple to use and set up. Just don't get aggressive with trimming and it will work for many years.

Dillon, by far the best choice. I also use my Forster and lyman when I can't use my dillon. I use my dillon for trimming cases that are alike even though dillon says i won't work. I.E. .17 Rem in the .223 die. 25-06 and .270 Win in 30-06 die. .243W, 7mm-08, and .260 in the .308W die, etc.