Case trim 270 win ?

Airgunner7

Ok, stupid question...

I have fire formed my nosler 270 Win Brass, longest case is 2.536 and shortest is 2.518. Max is 2.540 and suggested trim is 2.530...I'm planning on just triming them to all my shortest (2.518)....is that too short?

Is this brand new brass that you just fired factory loads from? Are these the first ever handloads on this brass? Is that number before or after re-sizing? They'll likely grow a 1 to 2 thou when re-sizing, but Im confused as to why theyre so short to start with.
Look on the bright side, If you fired them once, theyre already longer than they were when they were first loaded:D. You should be fine, but I wouldnt trim them all that short yet. Load up some of the stubby ones, and torch off some rounds to make the brass grow a bit. Then trim to whatever your desired trim length is. Then start all your brass prep, and trim them all the same. Make sure to lable and seperate your brass as to how many times fired for later loads. That way when youve loaded them 10 or 12 times and one fails, you have a good idea when your brass is gonna need replaced. (you probably already knew that), but I threw it out there anyway.

".. suggested trim is 2.530...I'm planning on just triming them to all my shortest (2.518)....is that too short?"

"...too short?" No, it won't blow up nor will your sling swivels fall off, but why bother trimming to 2.518"? Ballistically, it will accomplish absolutely nothing, only the max length is critical anyway.

Sticking to the normal "trim to" length is plenty short enough.

This is new Nosler custom brass once fired, it was "preped" from factory so I did not do any case trimming to begin with. out of 150 cases only one was outside of 1 grain.

Maybe I'll toss the bottom 10-20, and size them to about 2.522 ish..

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.