case sticking in chamber

clemens

Got a call from a buddy who was out shooting with some of his friends this last weekend. He told me that one of them had a new savage .308 gonna assume prob a model 10 but not 100% on that. Anyway he is having problems extracting the case. These are factory loads ( HSM) not sure of load. They had to pry the case out with a knife. I was told that it closed easy enough and no obvious pressure signs. Is it possible the head space just tight enough to allow case to expand but not contract back to original dimensions causing the case to stick? there were no scratches on case or any sign of a dirty chamber that they could find. Possible bad lot of ammo maybe. I told them to buy different ammo to see if it still happens. Any thoughts on this. I have never had that happen with factory ammo. Anyone have that happen to them? any thoughts would be help full.

Could be a couple of issues. Is the chamber clean? What does the case look like after being extracted? If it is scratched up, then he has a rough chamber and will need to be polished. Tight chamber should have nothing to do with it. If it goes in OK, it should come out OK.

Maybe the extractor is faulty and slipping off the case.
Maybe head space is short and the ammo is a tight fit and the shooter is jamming the bolt down without realising it.
Caming power in a bolt action is high .
Maybe the new gun has got dried out transport grease in the chamber . Give the chamber a real good scrub out .
Maybe you are using Military spec ammo in a 308W civilian chamber . That can sometimes cause the ammo to jam at the shoulder diameter especially in a tight chamber .
Maybe the ammo is over normal pressure .
After scrubbing the chamber inspect it for roughness or reamer marks .

" I was told that it closed easy enough and no obvious pressure signs." Stuck case after firing could very well be an obvious pressure sign. Just saying......

The only thing I can think of that can cause this other than whats already been list, is really bad headspace. It's simple enough to find out , have a gunsmith run a no go gauge in it.

I don't know savage actions at all but I just suffered this problem with my 700. Turns out it was the "timing cam". Trip to the smith and its all better. He had to build up the ramp on the back of the action.

I don't know savage actions at all but I just suffered this problem with my 700. Turns out it was the "timing cam". Trip to the smith and its all better. He had to build up the ramp on the back of the action.
I have seen this issue before and it is possible .

My son and I bought identical Rem 700's this last year from Cabelas. Both stuck cases with factory ammo. Sent to a gunsmith and ran a chamber reamer through and polished. Shot great after that. Nothing was visible in the chambers or on the cases, but either the chambers were a bit rough or cut incorrectly.

update on the savage. It only did this with 3 factory rounds and seems to be fine now. I agree should be taken to a smith and a gauge used to see for sure. I also agree that stuck case is a sign of high pressure. That's why it was a puzzle. have never had a issue with factory from factory ammo. Told them to take to smith anyway so we will see what they do. Thanks guys for the reply. Happy hunting to You all this year. hope to read about some great trips this year. gonna have to sit this year out. good luck!!!!:)

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.