Case size between 408 and BMG?

Karl

Hi does anyone know if there a previously manufactured case between cheytac and BMG case size? A couple of us are looking at an option to create a faster 458 off, yet stay away from BMG sized actions.

Last edited:
I think I saw a picture a while back of a BMG, 408 and 416 Barrett. If memory serves me correctly the 416 Barrett has a larger case than the 408 but is still quite a bit smaller than the BMG.

Here is a pic of a 416 barret next to a 338AM and some other assorted brass cant recall what I stuck up there with comparison. I got a 375/416 Barret Improved reamer, a barrel, a .50 Mcmillan action and stock, and a couple hundred pieces of brass, if your interested. I have been having health problems for a while and have sorta lost interest. I prolly have a couple hundred rocky mountain bullets out in the shop somewhere.

DSC_00032.jpg

Another option is .577 tyranosaurs case . See A square or Dave Viers , snipetac websites. Dave is also working on .458 as also Kirby I believe. There were some posts recently.

I am thinking that you are not going to get much better than a 375 CT derivative alla Viers or Allen.

Seems to me all there is is some various nitro express stuff like 600 and 700 but I think they are just lathe turned cases and prolly not what you are looking for in this scenario. Kinda looks like a 45-70 case only huge
50bmg, 416barrett, 460styer all the same case just necked down and shorter various amounts from the bmg case
408 and all variations is a 505 gibbs case
most barrel makers are limited in the 458 to what they can do might check to make sure your twist is available before getting too deep.
Ive looked into the 460 styer which is pretty cool but a pain to get anything in the country

Hi does anyone know if there a previously manufactured case between cheytac and BMG case size? A couple of us are looking at an option to create a faster 458 off, yet stay away from BMG sized actions.

The 450 Rigby is a very large case and will exceed the 458 Winchesters energy and velocity
and has a bolt face dia. of .589.

The 500 Gibbs is a large rebated rim case with a bolt face dia. of .575.

The 505 Gibbs/ Cheytac case uses a larger case head .635 and normally requires a custom
action like many other big dangerous game cartridges.

The 416 Barret is simply a 50 BMG case shortened and necked down to hold 200+ grains of
powder the 50 BMG holds 250+ with a bolt head dia . of .804 and requires a special action

There are some cartriges that hold more powder than the 505 case but they all have a large
case head and require a large custom action.

J E CUSTOM

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.