Case Seperation I thought.

Beauty of the 308 with that bullet diameter it is hard to overpressure with effort using h4895 or imr4064. I load both of those a ton and can't see how 41.2gr of 4895 gets you those pics .I would check everything and frankly as someone suggested throw every other load from the batch out .Even if to avoid bad luck! I have loaded 45gr of imr4064 with 150gr accubond and only get a slight shine in some of the brass and that isn't even max ffrom the hogdon website. I load that now at 44gr and the brass looks picture perfect after firing

Glad you are ok

......Personally I'd throw the whole mess in the garbage can and start over, I've seen a number of those bolt noses fail and break out. You likely set the lugs back in the action, you need the barrel pulled and the lugs checked for sure!!......

..... The only thing I disagree with bigngreen has said so far is to toss it. My foul up hangs over the reloading bench so I have to look at it every time I load. Highly recommend it.

I've had folks tell me mine can be repaired, I've ignored them, suggest you do the same.

You ran the ragged line of disaster, Thank God no one was hurt, and pony up for a new rifle. Pretty **** cheap compared to an ER visit.

Knight
Your cases look really clean are these new cases or freshly cleaned.I had the same trouble with ss pins if you let them run too long they will flair the case mouth and cause over pressure loads.

Last edited:
I use h4895 to load my .308.I like it because the pressure is lower than most other powders.I have my powder trickler set up by my rcbs beam scale and once I noticed it got hung up on the trickler somehow because of being to close.I caught it early and made my correction.Since then I bought a digital scale and now I feel safer.My reloads are grouping better.It's always a learning process.Glad your still here to tell your experience.

And there are several different extractors for the 700 depending of the year made. IF it is screwed up, best to send it to Remington and they can replace it with the right one. I had a pre-69 one, and NO more extractors, after they used the last one to replace mine with, so would have to get a Sako style if it got broke again. Have been told there are ones out there, but never been able to find the right one for mine, and finally sent it to Remington. This was back in 2009, and was going to Africa so had to borrow the bolt from a friends rifle, and have the local smith check head space , which was fine, till I got back. I'd let a smith get the case out, if it is sticky at all. They have the tools and knowledge to do it right, and not going to hurt anything. One thing, is, the 700 one of the strongest actions in the world, and was tested by the Army and a case full of Proof powder, with a 180 gr bullet and 5 more 180s pushed down the barrel on top of the load, was unable to blow the action. At that level finally did bulge it. Obviously the gass handling worked well. I was at the range several years ago, doing hunter sight in and a guy had had his M77 in 270 "bore sighted". Told folks to quit talking to the man doing the bore sighting while he was working. He'd pulled the target thing off the "spud" and a cease fire called. When hot was called again (people talking to him), He glanced over and didn't see the target piece, so gave the man his rifle, who went to the table and put one down range. Unfortunately the spud was still in it, and found 50 yds down range, and locked the gun up, and split the stock behind the action, etc. But didn't come near blowing, and gas correctly diverted so no one hurt. Unlikely guns made since 1950s going to ever blow. Hope you get the problem taken care of. But take it to a smith to do. How much over was your load. a Balance beam scale not ever going to be off. Well, can be but that's why they have the check weights and a bullet of known weight can also be used. The beam unlikely to be off a whole grain though.

I've never seen brass flow like that . Very lucky you didn't loose an eye . I have seen though 2 different 25-06 that had the wrong ammo shot through them . The first one I saw is in a display case in my dads buddies garage, it is in roughly 50 different pieces. Was a doctors here in town a long time ago he fired a 308 in it. Got very lucky had one scratch on his face and a big splinter in his hand . The other one was done about 5 years ago . My cousin shot a 7mm08 through her husbands 1960' s Remington 700 min rifle in 25/06 shot 3 shots was off the bullseye by 2 inches. Said it kicked harder than she remembered her 7mm08 kicking then realized what had happened. Sent it to Remington and the bolt was trashed and the barrel was copper fouled but they thought you'd be able to get it clean.

Remember " live and learn " you got the living part down I'll guarantee that you learned something from this as did I .

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.