Case lube

Mind sharing the recipe and how you use it?
Buy a little bottle of liquid lanolin, 99% isopropyl alcohol and a spray bottle. Mix 10:1 ratio with lanolin being the 1. I throw an old bullet in the spray bottle to aid in mixing.
I spray the cases in a plastic bowl, work with hands (use gloves) and let dry for a couple minutes. Works great. As usual, not my idea. Learned it from some old timers

how do you clean the lanolin off the case after resizing?
I use imperial wax on the body and neck, then just wipe it off with a microfiber towel and it leaves it dry so I can use graphite lube for expanding the neck

what about the lube inside the necks? I use a size die with no expander ball then I use a neck expander mandrel with graphite lube-- the inside of the neck would need to have 0 "wet lube" in it before dipping into the graphite lube for the expander mandrel

Last edited:
I began my reloading adventures using lee case lube, it worked okay but I didn't know enough to know any better. Then i started using RCBS lube and pad for awhile that worked pretty great my only complaint was the pad started to break down after a lot of rounds and ended up on the case and up inside the die making a mess. Just recently I decided to try out Hornady one shot and LOVE it. I just take and line the all up the same direction give a good spray at an angle so that the lube is in the neck and then I shake them all around and by the time I finish setting up my dies the lube has sat enough and its good to go, so far Ive used it with 223 and 8mm Mauser and has been butter smooth.

Imperial is great and what I use if I am only sizing 20 cases or so. But for anything of greater quantity I use Boot Leg case lube. 12:1 mix ratio of Iso Heet and liquid lanolin. Never causes lube dents and makes sizing oh so easy. I spray it at the case neck and mouth with the cases on a sheet facing me. So the outside of the case, case neck and shoulder and inside of the case neck all get lubed. After spraying them, I roll them around on the sheet to even out the lube on the outside of the case. Just toss them in a tumbler with fine corn cob media for 30 minutes to remove the lube. And it works as a great hand moisturizer as well while you work. Here is how I line up my cases on the sheet. 144 per batch as that works well in my Lyman 1200 tumbler.
Case Lube.jpg

I have used the Hornady One Shot for almost 20 years on everything from 223 to 416 WBY Mag and have only stuck a case when I neglected to, or sprayed too little on the inside of the case necks. Of course, by spraying the inside of the case, I end up running the cases through a second "wash" cycle to remove all of the lube as it turns tacky over time.

how do you clean the lanolin off the case after resizing?
I use imperial wax on the body and neck, then just wipe it off with a microfiber towel and it leaves it dry do I can use graphite lube for expanding the neck

what about the lube inside the necks? I use a size die with no expander ball then I use a neck expander mandrel with graphite lube-- the inside of the neck would need to have 0 "wet lube" in it before dipping into the graphite lube for the expander mandrel
Hey cohunt, same process here, but I switched to the 21st Century TiNi turning arbors for expanding to get rid of the inside-case lube step. Don't know if that helps you or answers your question.