Case Capacity

7ultra

Anyone know how the 7.5x55 would stack up against the 30-06 and the .308 in terms of internal case capacity. The base, and shoulder location are pretty much identical to the 284 winchester case, so I think it would approximate the 06. Anyways, I was thinking this would make a good tactical round and was just gathering info, thanks for the help.

7ultra,

It will pretty much split the difference between the 06 then the 308.

The 284 case has more capacity and is much closer to the 06 volume then the 7.5x55.

Good Shooting!!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Thanks for the Reply's
I actually already shoot a 6.5-284( terrific performer) and two Schmidt Rubins. I already reload for both, so the cost of components for the 7.5 shouldn't be a problem. Does anybody have any loads worked up currently for a bolt action 7.5? I know the pressures are low for the schmidt rubin's, so it would be interesting to hear some numbers. Thanks

7ultra,

Depending on the manufacturer of the brass:

7.5x55 = 65.0

284 Win. = 66.0

308 Win. = 56.0

30-06 = 68.0

The 7.5x55 SM (Swiss Match) is already an accepted target cartridge used frequently in CISM target matches so it is a good candidate for tactical use, also. It's accuracy ability is without question. The ballistic performance should be right along with the .284 Win. given the same circumstances and similar components.

I didn't hesitate to go with the .284 Win. for a chamber instead of the 7.5 SM due strictly to the availability and cost of brass, ammunition and dies. The performances are equal for the most part and the greater expense for the Swiss pushed me towards the Win. The basic .284 case has been proven in competition already with the 6mm and 6.5mm x 284. Brass is available from Norma, Lapua and Winchester at least. The 7mm line of bullets is terrific for both hunting and target (tactical). Any of these 4 cartridges will perform admirably in a tactical situation and either the 7.5 or the .284 can certainly be considered to be tops for your needs.

I understand the desire to have something that might be considered to be slightly different from the rest.

Regards.

Healing up from a surgery last week I've been off all this week and I finally had time to play with my 7.5x55 K31 Swiss rifle.

Off bags with the as issued iron sights I found a load that would group right at 1 1/2" at 100yds, no telling what it would have done with a scope.....not bad for a gun made in 1942 and a fella made in 1950 wearing bifocals.
smile.gif

Although I own several long guns I'm more of a handgunner than rifle shooter, I've shot IHMSA competitions for several years and have deer hunted with handguns solely since the late 80's.

Anyway, I was impressed enough with the 7.5x55 round this week, accuracy wise, that I'm very, very seriously considering getting a 15" TC Encore barrel chambered for the round.

Not counting my XP-100's and Contenders I've already got 15" barrels for the Thompson Center Encore in 300 Savage, 6.5x55 Swede, 7mm08, 45-70 and .284 Winchester. The 7.5x55 wouldn't necessarily fill a caliber void in my 15" pistol barrels but I just like the idea of having one.

I tried five loads this week and the load that the K31 really liked was 43.5grs of Varget, Sierra 165gr HPBT Gameking and a CCI BR-2 primer.

7Ultra I see you're from Madison, Wisc., although I havn't been back in several years I grew up there and went to East High....my mother and two sisters still live there, it's a great plce to live.

Ike

Thanks for the input IKE,
I already know that the swiss will shoot, that why I have 2. Love them both.

I agree with you on Madison as well. Great city and interesting people. Pretty far cry from the small Wisconsin town I grew up in though.
Hope the surgery went well, hopefully all is operational

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.