Cartridges for lazy load developers

i second Hammer bullets for easier load development. I have also found the stiffer the barrel, the easier to find a good node

I've found some cartridges easier To load for were a 308, a 6,5cm partly because often similar loads work across different rifles. Wby cartridges and other magnums have been more finicky in my experience.
Below is a 5shot group that measures .322" from my 6bra. Zero load development I jammed the bullets and put 29.5gr of varget in like the smith told me.
B47E926A-7103-4090-A686-C1C21F91AD3A.jpeg

I've found some cartridges easier To load for were a 308, a 6,5cm partly because often similar loads work across different rifles. Wby cartridges and other magnums have been more finicky in my experience.
Below is a 5shot group that measures .322" from my 6bra. Zero load development I jammed the bullets and put 29.5gr of varget in like the smith told me.View attachment 214908
Just curious...zero load development and jammed the bullet!
How did you select the bullet?
How did you select the powder and how much?
How did you select the "jammed"

Just curious...zero load development and jammed the bullet!
How did you select the bullet?
How did you select the powder and how much?
How did you select the "jammed"
I used a known fireform load. Jammed it about .006" smith told me to jam it but not too hard. .006" seemed right to me. He told me what powder and how much for a 105gr bullet
I used hornady 105hpbt because they were the cheapest lol
Those r shots 15-20 on a new barrel btw

I used a known fireform load. Jammed it about .006" smith told me to jam it but not too hard. .006" seemed right to me. He told me what powder and how much for a 105gr bullet
I used hornady 105hpbt because they were the cheapest lol
Those r shots 15-20 on a new barrel btw
So you used a load that was already developed...that is not zero load development
I have same experience with 300 WBY
I 2014 I was going to Africa and asked a friend what he would recommend. He just came back for there.
He told me 200 gr AB or PT
told me RL22 and how many grains, Federal 215 and COAL
Surprise Surprise shot less than 1/2" in a Japanese WBY and in a late model US WBY
"ZERO" load development in a Weatherby, or was it?
Similar thing happened with my Model 70 30-06 and 150 grn BT
and a few other firearms...

So you used a load that was already developed...that is not zero load development
I have same experience with 300 WBY
I 2014 I was going to Africa and asked a friend what he would recommend. He just came back for there.
He told me 200 gr AB or PT
told me RL22 and how many grains, Federal 215 and COAL
Surprise Surprise shot less than 1/2" in a Japanese WBY and in a late model US WBY
"ZERO" load development in a Weatherby, or was it?
Similar thing happened with my Model 70 30-06 and 150 grn BT
and a few other firearms...
If I had some re22 I'd ask for ur load and try it in my 300wby.
Part of a cartridges ease of loading is information available to handloaders. I did zero load development. Then if it works is the other part.
But I'm not getting into a semantics argument

If I had some re22 I'd ask for ur load and try it in my 300wby.
Part of a cartridges ease of loading is information available to handloaders. I did zero load development. Then if it works is the other part.
But I'm not getting into a semantics argument
I always start with my friends, try what works for them. I think I only had one rifle that was not working, That is because of way too much freebore in the rifle. Now I will try what "similar" rifles shoot and see.
I also have a load with 7828ssc for 180 grns in a 300WBY, I posted it in another thread

I always start with my friends, try what works for them. I think I only had one rifle that was not working, That is because of way too much freebore in the rifle. Now I will try what "similar" rifles shoot and see.
I also have a load with 7828ssc for 180 grns in a 300WBY, I posted it in another thread
I have 7828ssc, care to pm me ur load?
7828 is my go to for wbys

Have you experienced a cartridge that took nearly zero load development?
I bought a Win Model 70 in .270 win from Walmart on sale for $300.00. I put a Nikon Buckmaster scope on it then bore-sighted it. I bought a box of Winchester 130gr and went to the range. The first two shots went through the same hole with the third touching the first two. Three rounds of stock ammo and I was good to go...

I bought a Win Model 70 in .270 win from Walmart on sale for $300.00. I put a Nikon Buckmaster scope on it then bore-sighted it. I bought a box of Winchester 130gr and went to the range. The first two shots went through the same hole with the third touching the first two. Three rounds of stock ammo and I was good to go...
Now that's is what I call zero load development!

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.