Cartridges for lazy load developers

DJ Fergus

Im probably going to get some critizem for this thread, but it's not so much as being lazy as that I don't seem to have as much time as I once did for lengthy load development. The load development I done years ago might be all finished up in a couple of weeks but the same scenario today could take me a couple of months. Anyway, I don't want to start a war over what caliber or cartridge is "best" but I just wanted to get some feedback from some of you about your experiences with some cartridges that didn't take much at all to get the load developed/ worked up for accuracy. And of course I know that each person's years of experience will have a great bearing on how quick and easy load development will be with any particular cartridge & rifle combo and I know the rifle build itself will have a lot to do with results as well.
So here goes with my endeavors:
To no ones surprise, I've found the 6.5 creedmoor very easy to tune in several rifles in general. I have a 7mm stw that tuned fairly easy. Maybe not hardly as easy as some 6.5 creedmoors but end results were just as good. I found the 22 creedmoor to be fairly easy to tune. Similar to the 6.5 creedmoor as far as minimal load development. I've loaded for many other cartridges besides these but I was still learning as I went so it wouldn't be particularly relevant for me to get into those but at those times they were more time consuming than the cartridges I've already mentioned. So now I'm gonna get to my latest project that has seemed to be a perfect match for my situation of being short on time and needing quick results: The 6.5 SAUM. My particular rifle is nothing fancy and wears a barrel from Apache gun works who has provided me another great shooting Barrel in the past. I really haven't put just a lot of time into load development for this rifle. I think it's capable of more when I have more time. I'm holding in the .3s out to 500yds and occasionally larger but never over or equal to 1/2 moa @ 500. And this is with some mild wind. I think I have a decent barrel but certainly not top tier. Im positive the chamber work itself is excellent. I'm using adg brass with 147 elds & N570. So I've got to give some credit to the cartridge itself for it's ease of tuneability. I said all that to say that this cartridge has somewhat surprised me being that it's not necessarily a high end build. Any way, I would like to hear some feedback from some of you guys with such scenario's of where you haven't had to put much time into load development and it shot nice consistent groups.

I've found the 6.5 saum to be easy to load for. Same for the .260. Mostly I've found certain rifle's are easier to load for than any particular cartridge. I've had some 7's that you couldn't hardly get to shoot over 1 moa, and some that you couldn't get to shoot under 1 moa. That had much more to do with the build than the cartridge.
That said, I've never got a rifle to shoot in .3's and never over .5's @ 500 with mild wind and a "decent" barrel out of a "not necessarily high end build".
I do quite a bit a load development, to get any rifle to shoot consistent 2 1/2" groups at 500. It's actually what I'm looking for, but never found. 1/2" @ 100 is one thing. It's really tough to pull off 2 1/2" groups @ 500 with a rifle that will only shoot 1/2" @ 100. In fact, it's really tough to get a rifle to be a true 1/2" gun @100, what I mean by that is, as you stated "holding in the .3's and never over 1/2 moa" And we all know that what happens at 100 doesn't happen at 500.
I don't know you from anyone, and hope I don't come across wrong. With a skill set like you just stated, you really should be be shooting high end competitions, very, very few people in the world are capable of doing that. A 1 mph wind change @ 500 out of a 6.5 saum takes a consistent 1/4 moa group to over a 1/2 moa @ 500.

They are all easy to load for if you know what your doing.

I still dont get your point!
I guess my point is that I've had some that were easier than others. I like the ones that were easier for me. I count my reloading experience as average among several masters here on LRH. Accuracy handloading for a majority rifles I come across is very doable for me. I can't necessarily say everything I lay my hands on will be easy like it is for you.
Maybe I will get to the level you are at someday and they are all easy.

Have you experienced a cartridge that took nearly zero load development?

Yes! Nearly forty years ago, my first rifle was a 300 WBY Mag. Bought Lyman Handbook. Most accurate load for 180 was recommend with 1mr4350. Loaded five at that (was max load as well) and loaded 5 each, 4 sets, lower loads just to be safe. That was the first rifle I ever loaded. The recommended and max load ended up to be the best. Lets than 1/2" group.
That load is not longer considered safe in current manuals. Still shoots fine in my 60 year old WBY

Like somebody else said-- probably more to do with the gun than the round. Easiest I ever did was with my 35 whelen. It was shooting under moa with pistol bullets to break barrel in. First powder bullet combo started shooting one big hole after a couple of powder adjustments.

You been drinking buddy?
I'm a giant N, the op is a giant D

No worries, plenty of reasons to have a couple extra one's these days.
Absolutely, 3 beers & half a bottle of scotch 😁
But now its morning & Im sober & had 10 hours of sleep so not even a hangover :p

Guess what, I still go with this comment-

They are all easy to load for if you know what your doing.

The problem with the reloading ease or difficulty isnt to do the the cartridge its to do with getting the timing right between the projectile selected & the powder used.

I have had combinations that took me 3 powders to find the right sweet spot for that cartridge, then again for the same cartridge with different components it took 1 powder & 40 rounds to get it to shoot 1/2 moa.

So I dont think you can say one cartridge is more "easily tuneable" than another.
You need to remember your tuning the combination to your rifle & different rifles in the same cartridge will change everything again!!

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.