Cartridge dissection - Open to interpretation

Rook57

Anyone have any comments. I cut this case in half, is there anything we can learn from this?

6x fired Nosler brass

Attachments

• 134189F5-4704-47DF-8691-173CCBC79086.jpeg
    134189F5-4704-47DF-8691-173CCBC79086.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 652
  • 342F5E1C-C913-456F-B657-20DE9ECA873A.jpeg
    342F5E1C-C913-456F-B657-20DE9ECA873A.jpeg
    950.3 KB · Views: 621
It looks like the neck needs to be squared up.

But seriously, I admire the curiosity that spurned this exercise. Just today, I was evaluating some .25-06 cases for wear and was using a bent paper clip as a feeler to detect that crease that develops as a blurry line on the outside and upon subsequent firings becomes more distinctive. I'd like to see what that looks like from the inside.

If you do not satisfy your curiosity, you do not learn, so the question is what did you learn. I have cut up several cases to see the inside, my favorite was the difference between .223 and the 5.56. You will find answers by doing, as long as you exercise safety.

The things that stood out to me.

Along the web, you can see the striations. To me that looks like where the case gets worked the most.

The white by shoulder and neck, I believe it looks like that due to the annealing process. Or because of the bottle neck created. Still pondering that.

The carbon fouling seems to get thicker and blacker from the base to the neck. To me that speaks to how the powder ignites, burning faster and hotter. Makes we wonder if I uniform the flash holes I will get a better more even ignition.

Lastly, corn cob media cleans the outside great but not the inside... wonder if a wet tumbler or sonic cleaner would do better.

why cut a case all you need is a micrometer and a bicycle wheel spoke to feel the inside of the case???? DUD
OK let me explain if you want to cut open cases fine go to it. but my experience was with a gibbs case that was seperation after about 3 shots.. my neighbor who is a rifle engineer meaning he designs barrels and flash supressors who actually has the contract for the ar platform rifles for our military. He told me about the cut off bicycle wheel spoke and the round end is perfect you can find any flaw in the case by touch . also he told not to use the 35 whelen case on my 35 gibbs and go to a 280 case da it worked perfect no more case seperations. I do suppotr you for the research on your cases, just mabe there is a safer way.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.