Cartridge Comparison Pro’s/Con’s

BoomFlop

I am looking to have my first rifle build. I am looking for a versatile , kind of do it all cartridge that I can shoot paper, coyote hunt as well as hunt antelope, whitetails and mule deer with. I would like to be able to target shoot to 1000 yards, and be able to effectively extend my hunting range to 600 or so yards. I believe a 6mm offers good ballistics without additional recoil and muzzle blast. I would also like to shoot it suppressed (TBAC Ultra 7 Gen 2) without sacrificing any more performance than necessary.

So, which cartridge should I go with? 6x47 Lapua, 6xc, 6 Creedmoor or 243 Ackley Improved? I do reload.

I like the idea of "wildcat" cartridges with a custom rifle, if nothing more than to be different and "cool". The Creed offers factory ammo and performance, but is more mainstream if you will (plus and a minus). The 243AI, offers option of factory while providing a wildcat factor, however, I do not know much about it and the performance in comparison. The 6x47L and 6xc offer wildcat coolness, but less performance to the other 2. I would prefer proper headstamp brass (within reason), but not absolutely required.

What would you do, what barrel length and what can I expect for performance? I would like to shoot the ever popular 105 Hybrid, 108 ELDm and possibly 115 Berger. Probably be a 7 or 7.5 twist as I live at 1000 ft elevation and it gets cold here. Any issues shooting 70-87 grain bullets out of a 7 twist?

Love to hear your opinions.

Parts for build that I am leaning towards:
Big Horn Origin
Rock Creek Carbon 7 or 7.5 tw ?
Mesa Precision Adjustable Stock
Hawkins or HS DBM ?
Trigger Tech Primary Trigger
Hawkins Rings
Leupold VX5hd or Mark 5HD ?

Thanks.
Steve

If I were going to be hunting to 600 I would look more to the 6.5 or 7mm stuff myself maybe 6.5-284 or the plain 284 for paper the 6mm stuff is great they just loose to much energy past 500 in my opinion but you know what they say about opinions with the origin you can always make it a switch barrel rig with very little effort

Last edited:
I have considered the 6 and 7 saum, 6.5 PRC and 6.5-284 Norma. The increase in recoil vs it's primary use has/had me leaning 6 mm. 600 maybe far for hunting, however, I figured someone would ask (as it's a legitimate question). Ranges will probably be inside 500 and most inside 100 to be honest.

Steve

Ok, here we go. The .270 with 1:8 twist can do everything you want easily. Throat it right with max LA and send it. All reloading components far easier to obtain. The 156HH is smoking out of one I built @3250 with RL26 maintaining 0.4 MOA even when I drink coffee😱. Its not a trendy CM but it us an eye opener with 1:8 TW.

A 270 has more recoil than the 6.5's, and for coyotes to deer I feel that is a little much. Don't feel I need to burn that much powder to kill animals under 250 or so pounds.

I think the 6 creed would do what you want. It has enough hp to keep that 115 supersonic to a mile+. Killing an antelope at 500y won't be a problem. The only issue I have with all of your choices are barrel life. You probably won't get more than 1,800 rounds out your barrel with anything you've mentioned. I realize that is enough to get most people through their hunting career, and if you aren't shooting it a whole lot, it's not a real concern.

I would not do a wildcat...i have owned a slew of them but spent a bunch of time forming brass and tinkering when you could be hunting and shooting. If you want a 6mm I'd do a creedmoor with options a bit easier to find or a good ol straight 243 win...both would be wonderful. I'm a disciple of the 25s and things are getting much better in that space with fast twist barrels and more bullet options-- a 25-06 is a bad piece of kit with a 100 grain nosler BT-- makes a mess out of jackrabbits and coy dogs..and a 115 berger is a fine bullet for deer or antelope and with the right twist the heavy bullets from blackjack and berger--even hammer should make it even better big game option--but will not be a short action. I have all the parts for a fast twist 240 weatherby---TIkka action, 1-7.5 twist 22 inch proof barrel, and a Alterra stock--just have not got it screwed together--always wanted a 240--but think most of the 6mm you mentioned are a better overall option...if I were you--and were building-- I'd go with a 7 twist 20 in barrel--in case the future holds a suppressor for you.

My girlfriend prefers my 7saum over her 6.5 creed. With a suppressor and a good stock it just doesn't kick that much. The long range ballistics are stoooooopid too. If you want a 1 gun to do it all I think you go bigger. Or at least that's what I would do. A 7saum will shoot paper and coyotes, as well as big mulies, and elk. A 6mm is maxed out on deer. Just my 2 cents. That suppressor will tame a 7mm.

A 270 has more recoil than the 6.5's, and for coyotes to deer I feel that is a little much. Don't feel I need to burn that much powder to kill animals under 250 or so pounds.
If you're planning to run it suppressed, you are likely going to eliminate a lot of recoil anyway. I had a 300 win mag and a 338 Lapua that were suppressed and they were a joy to shoot. I'd rethink the recoil if I were you, since a suppressor will do a lot to reduce even the biggest cartridges...unless there's a shoulder injury or something driving the need for recoil to be completely removed?

Got me thinking now. I did shoot a Bergera 300 PRC with a TBAC Ultra 9 and it was AWESOME! Now I did not shoot it more than once, however, did not notice recoil and seemed hearing safe. It was a pretty heavy rifle however.

6.5 saum, 7 saum, 6.5 PRC (not liking clicker threads), 6.5x284 Norma….or go 300 WSM? What would do best with a shortish barrel?

Thanks
Steve