Cartridge Comparison Pro’s/Con’s

I would probably do a Sherman without hesitation if it wasn't for the Hornady dies. I prefer a micrometer seater. I'm a new reloader and use Redding micrometer seater dies and Redding competition shell holders.
Why don't you like Hornady dies cut with a sizing reamer intended for the exact chamber reamer you are using?

Why do you like the micrometer? Is it ever right? Seriously, I set the zero to touching the lands. Then turn back 0.040" and whallah……I'm at 0.036"….:( then I add 0.004" on it and maybe it is within 0.001"…..I'm talking 3 brands of micrometer seater here.

I'm new and it is more of a process change than all the Redding dies. It is not that there is anything wrong with them by any means. Just be easier if my process could be the same for all of my rifles. Again, it is not a brand thing. The Forester would be great, but not available in 7 SS.

So I am currently looking at a 7 SS on short action or 7 saum (xm action).

Trying to decide if the XM action is more of a hassle and expense than just going with the Sherman. I would probably do a Sherman without hesitation if it wasn't for the Hornady dies. I prefer a micrometer seater. I'm a new reloader and use Redding micrometer seater dies and Redding competition shell holders.

Also, can't find Reloder 26 or anything like than ANYWHERE!

Steve
The Defiance Tenacity in XM length is $885. I looked at pricing a lot for doing things like buying a Trued Rem 700 then adding an M16 extractor. The cost of the mods to the Rem action always ended up around $800. So when the Tenacity came out it was easy to see the value there.
https://defiancemachine.com/actions/tenacity/.

I think for an all around short mag those 2 you are considering should be great and will run great even in shorter barrels.

Why don't you like Hornady dies cut with a sizing reamer intended for the exact chamber reamer you are using?

Why do you like the micrometer? Is it ever right? Seriously, I set the zero to touching the lands. Then turn back 0.040" and whallah……I'm at 0.036"….:( then I add 0.004" on it and maybe it is within 0.001"…..I'm talking 3 brands of micrometer seater here.
All of my rifle dies are micrometer, mostly Redding Competiton seaters but I do have Forster and Whidden as well. I've not experience your issue at all.

I recently purchased a Frankford Arsenal universal seater die and it works well also.

I'm also not a fan of Hornady dies. The only 2 stuck cases I've ever had were in Hornady dies.

All of my rifle dies are micrometer, mostly Redding Competiton seaters but I do have Forster and Whidden as well. I've not experience your issue at all.

I recently purchased a Frankford Arsenal universal seater die and it works well also.

I'm also not a fan of Hornady dies. The only 2 stuck cases I've ever had were in Hornady dies.
Huh. Well I can understand why you don't like Hornady. If I had stuck cases in multiple calibers, I'd be mad too. Were either die sets cut custom by Hornady? To me it is a completely different situation.

Like comparing Redding to Lee, etc…

Huh. Well I can understand why you don't like Hornady. If I had stuck cases in multiple calibers, I'd be mad too. Were either die sets cut custom by Hornady? To me it is a completely different situation.

Like comparing Redding to Lee, etc…
No sir straight off the shelf dies. .223 Remington and .308 Winchester.

So I am currently looking at a 7 SS on short action or 7 saum (xm action).

Trying to decide if the XM action is more of a hassle and expense than just going with the Sherman. I would probably do a Sherman without hesitation if it wasn't for the Hornady dies. I prefer a micrometer seater. I'm a new reloader and use Redding micrometer seater dies and Redding competition shell holders.

Also, can't find Reloder 26 or anything like than ANYWHERE!

Steve

7 SAUM in XM action works great. Manners stock.

40C04378-EE25-4612-943F-141B9FDA4B45.jpeg

Steve
I have rifles chambered in most of the Cartridges you mentioned. 6 Creed, 6.5 Creed, 6.5 SAUM, 270 WSM. The reason I have several rifles is one they are my passion and two is I believe in using the proper tool for the job at hand. Having a universal rifle is like having a 12" Adjustable wrench and saying you have a full set of tools. In my humble opinion you need a small caliber varmint rifle. A medium game rifle, where I live includes wolves, coyotes, antelope, and deer. A large game rifle for elk, bear, moose and other large animals. For Griz I care a sidearm and a 45-70 or my favorite mainly because it is so handy a 450 Marlin in a Winchester 94.
Rifles in whatever cartridge you choose will only do one thing well. To me hunting and target shooting is completely different and require two different types of rifles. If I had to only have one of the above rifles it would be the 270 WSM 1/8 twist 26" barrel. Because I live in a area with Elk. In the absence of Elk or other large game I would defiantly go with the 6.5 SAUM.

So mainly short action whether it be a mag or not from 24-27cal? 26cal offers a lot! 24cal is light even at 115gr and a 27cal would need too be 140gr+ for decent BC at long range. 26cal from 125-140 offers a lot with best average BC. I've shot a lot of 85gr to 600 yards and a flat base low BC without an issue of killing coyotes and prairie dogs with a pre'64 mod70 264wm.

I have other rifles, I just want this one to have the ability to do multiple things well. My primary purpose would be antelope, deer and the occasional elk. Antelope and deer at 800 or so and elk inside 500 yards.

I have other rifles, I just want this one to have the ability to do multiple things well. My primary purpose would be antelope, deer and the occasional elk. Antelope and deer at 800 or so and elk inside 500 yards.
Because the majestic elk is in the mix, "my" personal choice is not any of your selections. "My" unwritten rule is 1500 FT-LBS at point of impact and minimum FPS for the bullet to expand effectively on elk size game and 1000 FT-LBS on deer size game.

Because the majestic elk is in the mix, "my" personal choice is not any of your selections. "My" unwritten rule is 1500 FT-LBS at point of impact and minimum FPS for the bullet to expand effectively on elk size game and 1000 FT-LBS on deer size game.
I have specific rules per cartridge, bullet weight, usage, distance, velocity and muzzle energy per barrel length. Totally understand choice!