Cartridge Comparison - Need everyones help and input

drenner43

So I thought of this after a recent post of mine comparing 2 different calibers. I'm sure many of you way more experienced gentlemen on here know much much more about many more calibers than I and many of the other newer members to the website and the LRH game so this may not be much of a help to you but I think it would help a lot.

So here's my idea....

Why dont we start a thread comparing all of the different calibers, factory and wildcats. Including say...

Caliber
Caliber Description (If a wildcat)
Case Capacity
Bolt Face Required
And Maybe even Case Length

We could even take it a step further if we wanted by including all of the different projectile sizes in said caliber and the MV for it.

I'd be willing to start the thread and keep it updated and maybe it could become a sticky.

I just figured this would be a good reference for anybody.

Let me know what you guys think. If we like the idea, I'll start another thread for the info.

I think you're delusional..
Why would we initiate efforts to lay out specifics and potentials among hundreds of CARTRIDGES(not calibers)?
This would basically amount to reloading manuals -which are for sale.
Go buy em

It would be a great thread....but would take a bunch of work, and it would likely get derailed into a ****ing contest about pressures/barrel lengths/chronos/reamer prints etc...

AmmoGuide is now... "Interactive"!

Joining for the full version is less than the cost of driving down to pick up 1lb of your next powder....

You're right, there is no need for the specifics for each round. Loading manuals can be used except when you get into some of the wildcats.

As for the other information, I would find it helpful, as I'm sure others would as a quick reference.

If i'm delusional and it doesn't interest/help you, I have an easy solution, dont bother looking at the thread or contributing.

It would be a great thread....but would take a bunch of work, and it would likely get derailed into a ****ing contest about pressures/barrel lengths/chronos/reamer prints etc...

AmmoGuide is now... "Interactive"!

Joining for the full version is less than the cost of driving down to pick up 1lb of your next powder....

That is a good point about the many factors of MV although that's why I was hoping to just do a range for each. But in that case we could just keep it with the minimum information I mentioned to start with.

Usually just wikipedia a cartridge to get a starting point if interested.Parent case, history,and links for more info

drenner43-

The internet forums miss some of the key components of normal spoken communication....I'm sure MikeCRs response in person would be better delivered/recieved.

But I do agree...the thread your talking about would be tough.

For example on the topics of wildcats....and say throat design.....the specifics to those are key to establishing the velocity potential of those cases.

Based on the experience of a 300 RUM AI, 30-338 Lapua Improved, a 338 Lapua Improved, and a 375 Cheytac Improved (it's almost embarrassing to admit all these wildcats now....), I expect to be able to realize a 60-70% utilization of the new formed case capacity gain from the unformed parent case capacity using the Ramshot Mag/H1000/Retumbo burn rate class of powders.

Example- 338 Benford Magnum (just made that up), holds 100 grains unformed. Max load where we start to see pressure in a SAAMI chamber is 100 grains with a 250 grain Benford bullet. Now we wildcat it...lets call it the 338 Benford Magnum JE Improved. We blow the taper out, steepen up the shoulder, and load us up some fireform loads. Boom, formed case holds 120 grains. We see an increase of 20 grains of case capacity. I would expect to see the new max load to use 60-70% of the new case capacity, or around 100 grains + (20 gr times .65)=112 to 114 grains. Say we had a 24" barrel on this rifle...the MV gain would be minimal. But say this was a 30" barrel....now we might be doing some good!

Example2-Say on the 338 Benford Magnum example above...we had one rifle throated for a 210 grain "hunting" bullet...and one throated for a 350 grain long secant ogive "match" bullet.....and the useable case capacity with a bullet seated to the lands was 10 grains different. Again...velocity potential could span a wide spectrum depending on barrel length, powder class, and heck even the brand of brass used (as some you can pressure up pretty good without knowing it)

That's where I was coming from. If the above was old news already, I apologize in advance. If nothing else, if this thread rocks on, folks will read the above, and the data they post will reflect the concerns above.

And I'll be happy to post my rifles, but it will take me a day or two to dig around on my laptop.

Good luck, and good shooting! gun)

Autorotate:

I understand and agree completely. There are way too many variables, possibilities, and differences from gun to gun to cover and provide information for every aspect of every cartridge.

I made my suggestion a little more specific than I intended to. As you specified, just because case X has Y amount of capacity, does not mean that all of that capacity is usable. However, a list with some general information might give ideas of how much case X-AI is actually improved over the parent case X as well as a general comparison of case X vs. case Y vs. case Z. That's more what I was going for was a more general list of characteristics.

But maybe it is not needed and if so that's fine to. It was just an idea

I would tell you if you had a bugger hangin, and I'd tell you in person anything else someone SHOULD tell you.

With that, it is IMO malicious to knowingly solicit a great deal of wasted efforts from a forum.
And you know there are good reloading manuals out there for what you're asking.
If you really want the gamut, pick up something like 'Cartridges of the world';
Amazon.com: cartridges of the world: Books

FYI, AmmoGuide has a *FREE* "Ballistics Comparison Tool" that calculates average ballistics from the website's load store. You can select any 8 rounds you want. Click here for an example...
AmmoGuide Ballistic Comparison Tool

It also has a "Visual Comparison Tool" that lets you stack any 8 rounds side-by-side...
popular338s.gif

...but that's normally only accessible as a paid subscriber. But once/month, they open the Visual tool up for a few days and let free members use it too.

-Mike

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.