Carrying a handgun while wearing a pack.

I use Bladetech paddle holsters and clamp them directly to the right side of the pack belt (right handed). If I need to drop the pack, I simply pull the holster off and put it on the belt of my pants...you NEVER leave the sidearm behind in grizz country. Fast access, just friction retention. I screw them down so you can't shake the gun out upside down, but if you want to rip the gun out it's no issue.

I usually check with the guide or landowner before I show up with my pistol. Of the places where I was permitted to carry a pistol my 1911A1 was at my side. Out of all my hunts only one landowner/outfitter permitted us to carry a side arm. Others stated on their website what was and was not permitted on their land or property they managed. Along with the prohibition of any kind of alcohol, side arms were also banned.

If you're on your own land you're a lucky man.

I recently got a Mystery Ranch Sawtooth 45. I'm wondering, how are you all carrying handguns while wearing frame packs? The gun I'm looking to carry is a 1911 10mm 5" barrel. An accessible spare magazine would be nice too. I also wear a bino harness, so that cancels out a chest rig (I think). Thanks in advanced for any help.

I have an Eberlestock pack which has molle on the waist belt (like yours, I think). Since I mostly hunt in Arizona, which is an open carry state, I had a custom Kydex holster and a mag holder made with molle attach to carry my Kimber (3 1/2" barrel). It rides nice and is "right there." Gun and mag are attached as desired. First round is snake shot, the rest are hollow points. :)

It might not work as well with a 5" .45. My local gun store makes them. You give them your gun and they mold for THE gun. Right now in Tucson the lead time is about 3 weeks. Holster and mag holder were about $75. I'll see if I can send a pic as requested.

I use their bino harness system though. Readily accessible in a moments notice on my chest. Works great.

ALIEN GEAR Pack, belt, desk.

Also have a drop leg, but the pack hook up from Alien is an easy grab.
Do you like the pack better than the drop leg ?

Kenai Chest holster only way in my opinion, fits perfectly behind my bino harness with a pack on. Used to carry a 1911 10mm switched to a g20 doublestack

Yes, for the most part. The drop gets hung up on brush, branches, vines.. It adds another belt around your waist. .. For quick access I like the shoulder strap. Handy, adjustable, stays cleaner. Leg holster has it's place.
Really depends on what you want it for. That set up is a versatile system.

I recently got a Mystery Ranch Sawtooth 45. I'm wondering, how are you all carrying handguns while wearing frame packs? The gun I'm looking to carry is a 1911 10mm 5" barrel. An accessible spare magazine would be nice too. I also wear a bino harness, so that cancels out a chest rig (I think). Thanks in advanced for any help.

I believe your Mystery Ridge Sawtooth 45 comes with a waistband and molle attach. Here's my Kimber .45 in a Kydex Holster on my Eberlestock pack. Mine is 3 1/2" but 5" should work well. Magazine attaches to the other side. They stay out of the way unless I need them.

IMG_0689.jpeg

IMG_0688.jpeg

I have a badlands BINO harness and I ran the top straps through the belt loop on my holster. I was carrying a Springfield in 10mm but I would think anything would fit the same. It never interfered with getting binos in or out and was within easy reach. I originally carried it on my pack, but all too often I found myself not having my pack on, so what good is a side arm , if it's out of reach. My harness however was always on me, and never bulky or in the way. Hard to really tell in the picture, but you get the idea.
FB39B866-2F18-48E5-A013-4C38F59D6B32.jpeg

Hello all,
Thought I'd chime in on this, hope it helps.
I have tried most of the Bino harnesses out there and wasn't satisfied with them, some worked better than others but I have finally settled on my current solution which is a military type chest "rack" with Molle. I ordered and blank chest harness hsgi I believe is the brand their med pouch and a zippered admin pouch. I found that hill people gear makes a padded bino pouch in nylon.
I mounted the bino pouch in the center and the zipper admin pouch on my left the med pouch on the wearers righy side. The med pouch allows a wind check bottle to be tucked behind the actual pouch and the pouch itself houses my glock in 357 sig. I have my rangefinder on the right side in its original pouch with the harness strap looped through.
I absolutely love this setup, I have worn it with backpack as well as on horseback.

Attachments

• A0E50CF3-5C02-4174-B645-B3F39BEE2DC3.jpeg
    A0E50CF3-5C02-4174-B645-B3F39BEE2DC3.jpeg
    37.2 KB · Views: 312
  • 29C5D66F-8924-4F10-B28E-26FFEB86202D.jpeg
    29C5D66F-8924-4F10-B28E-26FFEB86202D.jpeg
    218.3 KB · Views: 288
  • F1533535-BC70-46A6-8F03-3EA91B5DF5B3.jpeg
    F1533535-BC70-46A6-8F03-3EA91B5DF5B3.jpeg
    117.5 KB · Views: 282
Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.