Carrying a handgun while wearing a pack.

I recently got a Mystery Ranch Sawtooth 45. I'm wondering, how are you all carrying handguns while wearing frame packs? The gun I'm looking to carry is a 1911 10mm 5" barrel. An accessible spare magazine would be nice too. I also wear a bino harness, so that cancels out a chest rig (I think). Thanks in advanced for any help.
If you are in bear country, don't give up the chest handgun rig position access. Should a bear appear up close and ****ed, it won't be the binos you'll need quick access to. Find other alternative position for the binos. Check out the RickYoungOutdoors.com Ultra-Light Bino Harness. Offers many carry/use position options. Side pull; traditional center below handgun chest rig (get the largest harness version). Light to carry....no big bulky second pack sized traditional harness. No wind flutter as with strap harnesses. I use the RYO with Sig Kilo3000BDX, Vortex Razor HD 12 x 56, Vortex Kaibab 18x56. Really like it.

I didn't have a problem using an Uncle Mikes plain Jane cheapo holster set up cross draw on my waist belt (general hiking). On my pack I just undid the waist belt straps and attached it forward of the pad and re-ran the webbing. Strong side the pack would get in the way, cross draw I could move the holster forward and access and comfort was ideal (for me).

If I was packing my .44mag in Bear country, I used a Diamond D chest rig, but all that strapping PLUS a pack was very uncomfortable (for me). I did use the Diamond D if I was doing day hikes and such.

I would order the Alien Gear chest rig then take the rig apart and fashion it to your Bino rig so you can access the gun and the Binos. That is how we did it when I was up in the high country but we did not have the Alien Gear chest rig, we had custom built chest rigs that were part of our bino chest rigs.

Personally I don't like the reach and draw angle with a holster on the pack belt, it's too high and unnatural for me.

I agree with this, I have a holster on my pack as noted as a temporary kind of solution, and also as a solution for a very specific wearing and activity with it in a specific area.

The idea of attaching a holster on the left side for crossdraw as another has brought up is interesting though, and may cure some of the ills I notice with it on the strong side. Especially since you could run it somewhat parallel instead of perpendicular, you could really play with angles here.

But it isn't an issue for me, my 500 S&W should be back from the Gunsmith soon and I'll be wearing it in my chest rig, holster will come off the pack.

I believe worthy to note though, I do agree with you. I also find my elbow bumping into the gun on occasion, which can actually be quite painful.
It's good to note and emphasize all of this when others are noting the same issues, it can help those looking for a solution avoid a potential bad solution, or at least be aware of it.

Will you be hunting with the 10mm? Will you be carrying a rifle? A buddy and I had custom leather holsters made for our large handguns for grizzly country. We wear them scouting for sheep or goats and are in grizzly territory. One day we saw 9 different grizz. One is a .500 S&W, the other a .454 Cassull. Note the layers of pack, holster, bino and bear spray. The holsters were made by Ringler Leather out of Clark, WY. They are hand made and will last a lifetime or more. After this one, I put a scope on the .500 and got a holster for that as well.

Attachments

• IMG_1660.JPG
    IMG_1660.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 290
On some of these setups you guys are showing pictures of I have to question your ability to have quick access to the handgun...like bino cases on chest holsters and vertical shoulder holsters with straps hanging over the grip of the gun. I am even wondering if you can reach past the mounds of straps and binos to get to the shoulder holster?

Anyway, If quick access is important and you don't want to lose access to your handgun when you set your pack down and you roll with a bino harness There are only two options that make sense - a thigh holster or one of those razcos that clip to the bino harness.

I recently got a Mystery Ranch Sawtooth 45. I'm wondering, how are you all carrying handguns while wearing frame packs? The gun I'm looking to carry is a 1911 10mm 5" barrel. An accessible spare magazine would be nice too. I also wear a bino harness, so that cancels out a chest rig (I think). Thanks in advanced for any help.
I just use a Blackhawk Serpa with a molle adapter on my MR Pop-Up 28. Normally I don't use mechanical retention but on a hunting rig I don't want the pistol getting yanked out by brush.

Attachments

• IMG_20200717_165738831_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20200717_165738831_HDR.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 310
  • IMG_20200717_165757436_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20200717_165757436_HDR.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 287
Will you be hunting with the 10mm? Will you be carrying a rifle? A buddy and I had custom leather holsters made for our large handguns for grizzly country. We wear them scouting for sheep or goats and are in grizzly territory. One day we saw 9 different grizz. One is a .500 S&W, the other a .454 Cassull. Note the layers of pack, holster, bino and bear spray. The holsters were made by Ringler Leather out of Clark, WY. They are hand made and will last a lifetime or more. After this one, I put a scope on the .500 and got a holster for that as well.
I will most likely do little hunting with it. I actually do leatherwork as a hobby and have had great results making holsters, but didn't know about leather for extended hunts due mostly to moisture.
I have a leg holster that I will try while Getting in shape to see how I like it.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.