Carrying a handgun while wearing a pack.

I've got a drop leg, the issue I have with this is that the belt I wear to support this holster ends up affecting the muscles being used in carrying the pack, it's weird. I have my pack loaded all the time, 50-60 lbs I suppose, and I wear it around the house, or when I go out and work on the boat, truck etc... I always wear a gun too
Something with having that additional belt on with the drop leg made different muscles work.

This pack has a section on the hip belt that allows a paddle holster and I actually have a quick draw paddle holster on it now, but I don't want a holster on the pack for permanent use, too easy to set the pack down, go to take a leak, then realize you're without your gun.

I have a gunfighters inc kenai, and that works, you can move the gun wherever you want on the front of your body, shouldn't have an issue making it work with a bino rig, put it under the rig, below it, above it, off to one side, there's a solution for you in here somewhere.

Crazy potential solution... look at the fast draw cowboy rigs with the big 3"-4" wide belts, you generally wear them loose and lower, could likely sit below the pack waist belt and certainly allow quick access to the gun. Though in rough terrain you'd want something keeping that gun from falling out. This may just be the neatest rig if it were to work out.

Personally I don't like the reach and draw angle with a holster on the pack belt, it's too high and unnatural for me.

I recently got a Mystery Ranch Sawtooth 45. I'm wondering, how are you all carrying handguns while wearing frame packs? The gun I'm looking to carry is a 1911 10mm 5" barrel. An accessible spare magazine would be nice too. I also wear a bino harness, so that cancels out a chest rig (I think). Thanks in advanced for any help.
What about a chest holster. Kenai makes a real good one. Well made, lite weight and fits well/flush against your
1594908563337.jpeg

I recently got a Mystery Ranch Sawtooth 45.... The gun I'm looking to carry is a 1911 10mm 5" barrel.

I just bought one of those packs as well. I have a Ruger 1911 10mm. On previous packs, with no molle webbing, I would attach the holster to the belt strapping in front appendix style. Not the best option but it worked. With the Sawthooth, I wanted to attach by the molle straps on the belt. My holster is the type that a belt slips through rather than clipping onto a belt. I think I'll have to rig something up to make that work, cross draw style. Tagging in for more suggestions.

Uncle Mike's, under the arm "detective" style here, comes with the extra mag holder too. Works in conjunction with back and chest packs. Probably a better holster out there but the location is a winner for me
Cheers

Justin Rasmussen is great. When my Delta Elite didn't fit in my 1911 holster he made for me, Justin worked with me to not only figure out why, but offered to rebuild it for me so that it would work. I have not received the rebuilt holster yet (It should be here in the next day or so), I'm very happy with how Justin treated my case. I highly recommend working with him.

I have extensively used all of the methods previously discussed. Thigh carry is a non starter, pack belt carry has it's own issues. the Kenai chest rig is the best option in my opinion. I use it with a sitka bino bivy or HPG chest rig. If I am not packing binos I will just run it inside the HPG Recon kit bag but I almost always have binos.

Plus one for gunfighters inc. they'll hook you up. I got one for my glock 10 mm and love it. Especially if it's scouting / packing meat etc. by far the most comfortable holster I've ever tried.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.