Carrying a handgun while wearing a pack.

Junglebird

I recently got a Mystery Ranch Sawtooth 45. I'm wondering, how are you all carrying handguns while wearing frame packs? The gun I'm looking to carry is a 1911 10mm 5" barrel. An accessible spare magazine would be nice too. I also wear a bino harness, so that cancels out a chest rig (I think). Thanks in advanced for any help.

ALIEN GEAR Pack, belt, desk.

Also have a drop leg, but the pack hook up from Alien is an easy grab.

Is your 1911 a Colt Delta Elite? If so, and you have the ridge running down the top of the slide, you will have trouble finding a holster that is either attached to the shoulder strap of your pack or hangs off your bino pouch...

Don't ask me how I know this... :(

If you do not have that ridge on top of your slide, then Alien makes a holster that you can attach to the shoulder strap of your pack and Razco makes a nice holster that hangs off the bottom of your bino pouch.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0787G1XZL/?tag=lrhmag19-20

If all else fails, it's not too difficult to get a heat gun and make a cheapo kydex press. Pancake style is easy, taco a bit harder. Brass rivet kits are cheap. You can use a hacksaw or jigsaw to trim and a dremel sanding drum to smooth the edges before flame polishing.

Alternately, there are plenty of kydex guys out there, you can probably find a local if you don't want to tool up and do the work.

I've got a drop leg, the issue I have with this is that the belt I wear to support this holster ends up affecting the muscles being used in carrying the pack, it's weird. I have my pack loaded all the time, 50-60 lbs I suppose, and I wear it around the house, or when I go out and work on the boat, truck etc... I always wear a gun too
Something with having that additional belt on with the drop leg made different muscles work.

This pack has a section on the hip belt that allows a paddle holster and I actually have a quick draw paddle holster on it now, but I don't want a holster on the pack for permanent use, too easy to set the pack down, go to take a leak, then realize you're without your gun.

I have a gunfighters inc kenai, and that works, you can move the gun wherever you want on the front of your body, shouldn't have an issue making it work with a bino rig, put it under the rig, below it, above it, off to one side, there's a solution for you in here somewhere.

Crazy potential solution... look at the fast draw cowboy rigs with the big 3"-4" wide belts, you generally wear them loose and lower, could likely sit below the pack waist belt and certainly allow quick access to the gun. Though in rough terrain you'd want something keeping that gun from falling out. This may just be the neatest rig if it were to work out.

Last edited:
I recently got a Mystery Ranch Sawtooth 45. I'm wondering, how are you all carrying handguns while wearing frame packs? The gun I'm looking to carry is a 1911 10mm 5" barrel. An accessible spare magazine would be nice too. I also wear a bino harness, so that cancels out a chest rig (I think). Thanks in advanced for any help.

There is a bino chest rig (I cannot remember which one) that has molle attachments on the bottom for attaching a holster. Now, with my frame, that would be a huge chest rig but I guess what I am saying is a chest rig doen't necessarily have to be written off.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts