Caribou rifle suggestions

Michigander1

My dad and I are flying out of happy valley for a diy caribou hunt with
Arrowhead outfitters in late August. I have a 300 rum and a 270 wsm.
Both rifles shoot great but I'm not sure how many bears are roaming
Around up there or if they could be a problem. My 270 is 5lbs lighter
And I would rather take it since everyone who has done this sort of hunt
Knows how much 5lbs is worth in gear. Any suggestions would be great.
Thanks Mark

The weight limit is 70lbs with rifle. I can make the weight limit
But it's close. I don't have a really light tent or lots of lightweight gear.
I guess it comes down to what we take for food. Part of the problem is
Just lugging the heavy rifle everywhere.

......The weight limit is 70lbs with rifle. I can make the weight limit But it's close...... I don't have a really light tent or lots of lightweight gear.
I guess it comes down to what we take for food..... Part of the problem is Just lugging the heavy rifle everywhere.

I'd take the .270, it might change my bullet selection, but spare socks, batteries, food are the real lifesavers. Especially if you get weathered in somewhere.

I would also take the lighter rifle. 5 lbs of extra gear could save your life. If youre worried about bears, just make sure your shooting a good bullet, one that will hold together.

hello,your choices seem fine.I've hunted caribou twice in NWT.had to fend of mother griz and 2 cubs who wanted a previous killed carcass on our side of pond.native guide's old .303whose ejector broke after first shot. 2 shots from my .300weatherby to her left kicked gravel up and luckly ran off!also used a.338win mag another time w/06 backup.saw black and white wolves but u couldn't bring them back to USA.so they walked. hunt partners had .270win.,7mm magand 3006.everytime u go for nature calls rifle must follow!!greatest of great hunting experience. enjoy,bring camera w/exra batteries.:)

hello,your choices seem fine.I've hunted caribou twice in NWT.had to fend of mother griz and 2 cubs who wanted a previous killed carcass on our side of pond.native guide's old .303whose ejector broke after first shot. 2 shots from my .300weatherby to her left kicked gravel up and luckly ran off!also used a.338win mag another time w/06 backup.saw black and white wolves but u couldn't bring them back to USA.so they walked. hunt partners had .270win.,7mm magand 3006.everytime u go for nature calls rifle must follow!!greatest of great hunting experience. enjoy,bring camera w/exra batteries.

I'd go with the WSM also. If your primary load is with a Berger, A max, or similar bullet take some real tough bullets in the same weight along in case of a bear.

If this applies to you, shoot some of the stouter loads at various ranges and if they hit real close to the lighter constructed bullets you can keep them in the gun and only switch if you get a long shot where it is necessary.

I'll be up in that country in late August early September as well. There are bears but they are few and far between. I'd take the lighter 270 WSM and load it heavy just in case. the caribou aren't hard to kill, but range can be an issue. If you've never been up there it's a whole other world. expect to shoot up to or over 500yds, then when you get a close chance you'll be fine. It'll be an awesome hunt, you'll love it.

Happy Valley...yup.

Trouble at 400 yards. That brown spot.

Next morning.

Try to walk/travel in the green stuff. Brown is a mutha.:D

Sure hope your driving...worth every hour and it's a bunch of them.

I hauled my 15 pound edge all over. Wasn't that bad, I think the farthest shot was 400ish right from camp.

Saw a wolverine, above bear,sow with 2 cubs at the airport(HV) and plenty of bou. Treat your pilot well...he's the one who decides wether you tag out or not. He can drop you in bou....or not.

Thanks guys. Appreciate the responses.
Leaving in 5 days getting excited. I'm taking the
270wsm. Thanks again and good luck to everyone this season.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.