Caribou hunt

Rugerman77

Me and a couple buddies are looking into a caribou hunt in 2023. It would be a diy drop hunt around the brooks range during migration. Has anyone been? What were your thoughts?

Make sure you use a good outfitter for the drop. It is rare, but I hunted the south slope of the Books range one year and missed the migration. We were hiking in from the haul road, which had a five mile corridor for bow hunting only. We set up camp near the road and hiked five miles each morning to start our hunt. After a few days, we ran into a AK Fish and Game employee who told us the migration was two weeks late, so we might as well go home and return later. But a good outfitter will know where the herds are and can drop you near the migration routes. Good luck, dress for all weather and have fun.

I'm going to the north slope in Aug on an unguided hunt with a HS buddy. We went through outdoors international for their drop off service and we are renting camp gear from them as well. It's a couple hundred extra per person but everything for camp is provided, including food. We bring only sleeping bags and hunting gear. It's a great option since we don't have all the needed camp gear.

Archery 37 yards

Attachments

• 038B4484-2788-4F77-9D98-B19AD9B807EC.jpeg
    038B4484-2788-4F77-9D98-B19AD9B807EC.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 90
In 2022 my buddies and I were supposed to go on a drop diy caribou hunt but it canceled because the state closed off where we were going to go for out of state hunters during the week we were supposed to be there. Our outfitter said he had no idea that was going to happen. The trip got canceled 3 months before hand. Tickets and gear were all ready to go and time off work was taken, such a bummer. That bright side is the outfitter was cool and moved our deposits to 2023. So we are going this year but to a different area and there is a chance that is might not be a good area for the migration during the time we are aloud to go. Moral of the story, is check with outfitter and make sure your trip won't get canceled and buy travel insurance. Even with travel insurance in a case like we had it is still hard to get your money if you get it back at all. Our trip this year will be a success and can't wait to post pics. Good luck your trip and make sure to double check. Cheers!