Caribou/7mag/162 Amax?

Yep, they will open up reliably at speeds much lower than others will. I just find them to be too explosive at high velocity.

What's the difference in the shoulder blade of a caribou that's tougher than the 5" diameter of a pine tree at 1/2 mile? Just curious!

@ WidRose
You're correct on the "high velocity". When shooting deer at 200 yds or closer it's a head or neck shot. My mistake on reading your post.

Jim

I'd say go for it. I've used them on over a dozen whitetail and one aoudad sheep. Bang, flop, retrieve. I've never had any take more than one round, and I've personally never had any huge exit wounds. The aoudad was shot at 125 yds and you couldn't hardly tell where I hit it. The whitetails were anywhere from 100-400 yards and they didn't leave a huge hole either. I believe they are running 2,950ish out of my 7mm rem mag, but it's been a while since I've been able to chrono them. If you can find them, keep shooting. I simply can't hardly find them, so I may switch. To me, it doesn't matter if the company calls it a target bullet or a hunting bullet, both will kill with descent shot placement. Some might think its wrong, but I prefer to hunt with the target bullet because they shoot better. I want the gun to be as accurate as it can, which I find especially important when hunting. That and the fact they have always killed what they have hit. Until that trend changes, I'll continue to do so. I'll be curious to read your input if you decide to use themgun).

For the several hundred years before 1882, bullets were just hunks of lead. For a short while they were even square hunks of lead - but the flight path of those bullets was found to be somewhat unpredictable.

With the advent of the copper jacketed bullet in 1882 things got a whole lot better. And today there are all kinds of bullets designed for all kinds of purposes. You have your match target bullets, you have your varmit bullets, you have your solid copper bullets including CNC machined bullets, you have your bonded core bullets and you still have lead bullets.

The AMAX itself is somewhat of an advancement in the tolerances achieved. It is accurate and it will kill stuff better than a hunk of lead. I suppose you would have a hard time finding a modern rifle bullet that would not kill a deer or a caribou for that matter. So we are debating the fine points here.

If the world went to hell and I had to grab a rifle and head to the woods I'd take the 22LR. No problem killing game with that. I'd have to be more careful but I wouldn't starve. So I suppose that makes me somewhat of a snob to say I wouldn't use an AMAX on game. I should probably refine that a bit and say I wouldn't use an AMAX on game as long as I have my other favorite bullets available.

This may soon be a moot point however since I seem to recall an announcement from Hornady a few months back that they had stopped making AMAXs so they could concentrate on their other bullets which were being gobbled up as fast as they could make them. Sooo... good luck finding those AMAXs.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.