Care of your game mounts??

Sako7STW

Hey there everyone! Long time member but don't come to the general section much.

Anywho, I have some mounts and am wondering what is the best way to care for them? Their horns are looking dried out and kind of dingy. Thought about maybe using some pledge or wood moisturizing wax stuff called Feed-N-Wax. I know you don't want to clean them because dirt is a big part of what gives them the color and character.

What about cleaning the hides of dust and keeping them looking fresh?

A vacuum w/small round brush head attached, getts dust and grim out, Becareful at eyelashes and delicate areas. I rub armarall on my horns in shop once in a while, small amount, my shop is wood working, I blow of w/ air first.

Lightly vacuum or dust. I have been using a shark steam machine with microfiber attachment works like a charm and gives the hair a new look. Its best to spray with a natural ceder oil after cleaned, this keeps the bugs out and gives a natural shine. Believe it or not all your mounts probably have some kind of infestation, thats why I like the steam machine and cedar oil, keeps things under control. As for the horns most taxidermist will wax them or use appropriate coating, I have never done anything but wipe them down. I do this about once a year, I have a large collection and inspect often. Moth balls in the ears is also another good trick to ward off the bugs.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.