Cardio Workouts?

I am a little guy, 4'11" and 95 lbs. if we do get an elk we will probably bone it out then pack out what we can and make another trip or two to pack it all out. I am hunting with my dad and my 10 year old brother.

I am a little guy, 4'11" and 95 lbs. if we do get an elk we will probably bone it out then pack out what we can and make another trip or two to pack it all out. I am hunting with my dad and my 10 year old brother.

If terrain permits, it's a lot easier to drag than carry ...

Drag harnest

unnamed.jpg

+

Deer sleigh/dead sled

16438_1154127775330_1291767130_3038.jpg

I hang mine on my vest ...

16438_1154131175415_1291767130_3038.jpg

Good luck!

I started my boy at 5 hiking the mountains,he is Montana tough now.He can go anywhere he wants.He wrestles and plays football.Off time, ski,horn hunt,bike and fish high mountain lakes.For us it is a life style.I would do a exercise machine like a stair climber,or run bleachers.I was on or cross country team and we ran up or local ski mountain. I am scoutin now for season.In this pict. my boy was 14-15 and we hiked in miles below and up 2-3000 verticle.This is just what it is where I hunt, Im still doing it,just slower:)

That's a very good picture.

I just stuck this on the other thread on high altitude but it fits perfectly here too, do some lunges and squats at home, just lots of reps with your body weight at first. Others pointed out doing stairs etc. - agree 100%. The cool thing is if you can't always easily get to some stairs, you can always do squats/lunges at home - on commercial breaks or whatever. Certainly do the aerobic workouts, but don't forget the stairs and strength stuff for the legs too.

Good luck.

I would have to say sprinting! Many treadmills have various workouts preloaded into them already. I work out 3-4 nights a week after work. We will usually do a program called a sprint 8. It starts off with a 3 minute, 3.5 mph, 0 incline walk. Then for 8 sessions, a 30 second, 6 mph, 5 incline run, with 90 seconds in between runs. This takes about 20-25 minutes with a 3 minute cool down. We follow this up with various weight training for 30-45 minutes, then to finish a 1-2 mile run at 5-6 mph and 0 incline. There are so many programs you can come up with. You have to find what works for you. Another thing which is tons of fun are parachute runs. If you can get your hands on a parachute, strap that on your back and do some running in a parking lot or field. These will get you in shape.

I spent 6 years in the military, the first 4 were at sea level, and even though I did PT 5 days a week, there was no preparing for 10,000 feet, it flat kicked my butt the first few days. My last 2 years I actually spent in Grand Forks North Dakota and it was a little easier since I was used to 3000 feet. But your still going to have a little acclimation period. Apparently you are 13 and not 100 lbs wet, so I think the hardest part of your hunt will be packing meat out. I would strap on a pack with as much weight as you can handle and hit a set of bleachers or stairs somewhere maybe climb 1-2000 feet a day

It will take more than a couple trips if two of you are just younguns 10 and 13 years old. It will take one person one trip just to take the head/cape out and that is probably a job your Dad will have to do as you're talking a lot of weight, as well as it being awkward. You certainly don't want to hurt yourself carrying too heavy a load and I doubt that either of you kids will be able to carry a boned out hindquarter of a good bull. Just the sight of one when you walk up to him is awesome and overwhelming if you've only hunted little bitty deer in the past.

My calves are hurting just reading the posts....lol...:)

I believe if I ever get the chance to go Elk hunting at high elevation, I'll take a chopper in and have hired help bring the carcass out.

...and I'll fly out as well.

If I was only young again.....

Another good treadmill exercise for your legs is do a 3 min warm up, 3mph, at 0 incline. Every 2 min go up either a half mph and half incline. Work your self up in speed and incline as it is comfortable for you. Long legs prevail over short in any running or walking exercise. When you have reached your peak with the speed and incline, do it in reverse working back down to your starting point. I will do 30 min up and 30 min down. This will work your quads, calfs, hamstrings, and gluteus.

I have started to go a workout called a burpee ladder. look it up it is pretty hard but simple. Its like a pushup then a jumping jack.

Tabata training is great especially if you have limited time to workout. A tabata exercise can be completed in only 4 minutes. It falls under the category of high intensity interval training. It consists of 20 seconds of intense training followed by 10 seconds of rest. You do this for 8 rounds. Virtually any exercise can be used as a tabata. Squats, burpees, situps, push press, etc. It is one of the fastest ways to build cardio in the shortest amount of time. Running and swimming are great too if you have the time and the fitness to do so.

Eating healthy while in the mountains is huge. You will burn a lot of calories and you need all the high quality food you can get. Don't be that guy who packs a lot of potato chips and has pop tarts for breakfast.

Hunting in the mountains at high altitude is tough, especially if you are coming from low elevation. Know your physical limits and hunt smart.

I hate running.....can do it all day but hate it. I like a heavy bag and a good pare of gloves for cardio. punch, kick and move. good for the footing control as well.

I have started to go a workout called a burpee ladder. look it up it is pretty hard but simple. Its like a pushup then a jumping jack.

Tabata training is great especially if you have limited time to workout. A tabata exercise can be completed in only 4 minutes. It falls under the category of high intensity interval training. It consists of 20 seconds of intense training followed by 10 seconds of rest. You do this for 8 rounds. Virtually any exercise can be used as a tabata. Squats, burpees, situps, push press, etc. It is one of the fastest ways to build cardio in the shortest amount of time. Running and swimming are great too if you have the time and the fitness to do so.

Eating healthy while in the mountains is huge. You will burn a lot of calories and you need all the high quality food you can get. Don't be that guy who packs a lot of potato chips and has pop tarts for breakfast.

Hunting in the mountains at high altitude is tough, especially if you are coming from low elevation. Know your physical limits and hunt smart.

I lean more towards the high-intensity interval training size of things these days and agree in principle to the 2 posts I quoted + CO Shooters whose quote did not append when I paged ahead.

The 50+ year old Senior VP came in a few weeks ago talking about how he ran 9 miles, to which I told him he wasted his time and it did nothing for him.

If you want something else aside from sprinting, tabata and burpess, (all really great btw), go to you tube and search for "Thrusters". They are a front squat and push press combined. Lots of fun

Really depends on what kind of hunting you are doing. I would say match your cardio routine as closely to your hunting style as possible. If you are pack hunting, load your pack up with whatever you think you will take with you on your hunt, and find some hills and start marching. Time yourself. Don't neglect weight training on your legs as well. Endurance is key. Being able to squat a Buick doesn't help you when you are having to hike uphill 6+miles just to get to where you want to camp. Just as important as your condition is your gear. You can be in awesome shape, but if you start getting blisters on your heels, or your pack doesn't fit your right, you might as well have done nothing to get ready for your hunt.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.