Carbon wrapped barrels?

Nicholas

Has anyone ever used one of these barrels? They sound very impressive. How does their accuracy capability compare to Stainless match barrels? Any experience with them?

First let me stress that I do not have the definitive answer on this one. However, I have had Christenson Arms' carbon-fiber wrapped barrels on 2 of my guns. It is not a carbon barrel, rather it is a barrel, turned down on a lathe to small diameter, wrapped in carbon fiber. They use Shillen, stainless match (but not premium-match)if I remember right. Neither one would shoot 1/2 MOA groups so I replaced them. (Plus I needed a faster twist by then for shooting a different bullet). One was on a Tikka action and the other on a Sako 75 action. My rifle-smith who replaced the barrels said it looked like the gunsmiths at CA did not know how to properly true the actions and in the case of the Sako 75 did not even attempt to lap the 3 lugs. When I asked the CA people about the Sako lugs they said because there were 3 it couldn't be done. Wrong. Iy just takes more time and care.

Anyway, I don't feel the barrel (inside where it counts) heats up any more slowly than an unwrapped barrel. This has been one of CA's claims. I don't have any scientific evidence to prove my opinion.

Bottom line is if you want a light-weight rifle to carry and shoot good (in my case 3/4 MOA or so) but not great, go with it. Although, perhaps if you stick with one of the actions they are more familiar with the rifle will achieve their 1/2 MOA stated accuracy goal.

[ 03-03-2002: Message edited by: Len Backus ]

Makes a rifle handle like a **** shotgun! Ones that I have shot were only so-so for accuracy. Other than that they are probably a great idea, right up there with cryo, moly, stainless steel barrels in camo stocks and electronic ignition...
Have a nice day, eh.

Sounds like carbon wrapped barrels aren't up to par with the Stainless barrels. I was thinking that you could make a very long barrel 34+ inch barrel without all the extra weight of a stainless barrel. But, it would not be worth it if I lost accuracy.

Ian

"Have a nice day, eh."

Let me hear you pronounce the word "out". That's how I can tell if someone is really from Canada.

Len,
You think we talk strange - my buddy from Arkansa's nickname is "Bear" - that is with two, sometimes three sylables.

For Len Bachus:

Len, for what it's worth, not all Canajuns talk the way you suggest. I hope to heck I don't say "oot and aboot" or end all my sentences with eh?

Nor do all Americans shoot "Baar" instead of Bear. At least not all the Americans I have contact with. and even if we all did or you all did, so what - eh?

Ron Wilson
wink.gif

Nice to see you are still on this board. Still thinking of coming out to BC for your Black powder shoot and long range plinking?

Let me know when you are coming out. Maybe we can get together. Got a Wild so can range as far as we can see...almost.

Installed a Tasco SS on my 300 Weatherby and 308 Win. So a mile or more should be in order, at least for the Weatherby. Still developing a load for the 308. Hope to get it dialed in soon.

Take care...

Jerry Teo

Warning! This thread is more than 22 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.