Carbon Wrapped Barrels

gkempf

Was considering one but have alot of questions. First is the weight loss worth the cost' Second I have a barrel that is a true tack driver' It is an Alamo contour and could it be turned down and carbon wrapped without losing its accuracy, If so who would you recommend doing it. Thanks

I'm not sure who will turn down and wrap barrels anymore, maybe Oregon Mountain Rifle.

As for the other questions...there's literally hundreds of posts about carbon barrels on LRH.

I wouldn't try and mess with a good thing. You got a barrel that shoots, it may not with someone messing with it.

For the weight savings with just a cold bore and a follow up "hunting rig" I think it has been worth it. If you are shooting long strings, I would say not so much. I get heavy mirage off the barrel, groups start to walk a bit if I don't let it cool down. It settles back in if you don't shoot it like a match rifle. Light weight steel can do the same though.

Not having the super cold feel of steel on my hands...priceless. Worth the extra $300.

My rigs are heavier than what I think most are using them for in an "ultra light" style, but I top them with optics that aren't light.

Nobody can tell you if it's "worth it" to you. Your financial situation & values are your own.

In terms of weight savings, you can typically go lighter with plain SS. CW really shines when you want to use a suppressor on a longish barrel while being weight conscious. I would never send off a current in-use barrel to get wrapped, contoured, fluted, etc. Shoot out that barrel then decide what the next should be.

My primary hunting rifle has a CW Proof barrel. I have zero issues with "walking" during shot strings (10+ rounds through a suppressed magnum in a couple minutes). In the winter, I do notice mirage after 4-5 rounds in quick succession.

Yeah...only problem with a pencil barrel is when it comes to threading it for a can or a brake. Pencil barrel CAN be as accurate and consistent as a heavy barrel. Just harder to hold steady. I think regardless of barrel configuration, thick, thin, carbon wrapped over it, it ALL starts with the quality of the blank and THEN the quality of the machining of course. So no, I would have a good shooter wrapped. If .you felt like gambling , have it turned down to a lighter weight. Just a barrel, they make more everyday 😜

I love my carbon barrels. Can you get lighter yes. But you must think in terms of what they are for. They give you all the benefits of a heavy contour barrels without the weight. That is what they do. I get no poi shift or walking when shooting strings like a thin barrel. For one or two shots probably not a big gain. Also depends on length. A pencil thin 18" won't be bad but a thin 26" could flex a ton compared to a carbon of same length.

Are they worth it? That's in the eyes of the beholder. As others have said a steel sporter/ fluted will be a tad lighter than carbon. But for same contour carbon is way lighter. For me the feel, looks and above accuracy I really like carbon wrapped and will only buy them in the future so it is well worth the expense to me. All my guns are hunting not target so carbon has a big advantage for me.

If you do go the carbon wrapped I would suggest selecting a cartridge that has long barrel life which kind of negates the extra expense

If you get a sendero contour steel barrel, and have LRI flute it with they're "type x" fluting, you will be close to the same weight as a carbon barrel of the same contour, for a little less money, but not a ton less. This is one option to do with your current barrel, though if it's shooting, I would probably just leave it alone, but that is up to you, having LRI do their thing to it may make no difference. Maybe call them and talk about it. I haven't heard of anyone that will wrap your barrel for you, though I'm sure someone will?

When you talk to some experienced precision rifle gunsmiths, many of them will tell you that carbon barrels start to walk or open up groups after they warm up. Many good smith's believe this has to do with the way they are made, most manufacturers do the rifling prior to wrapping the barrels, this induces some stress into the barrel during the wrapping process. For a hunting rifle, this common quirk often doesn't matter, as only a couple shots are generally fired anyway. To my knowledge, Bartlien is the only one doing it like it should be, they bore the barrel, then turn them down, wrap them, allow the resin to cure, then contour them, and finally, they now finish bore, single point cut the rifling, and finish lap the barrels. They creates a more stress free barrel by design.

This is just from my reading, my first hand experience is limited to a couple carbon barrels, a carbon six and a proof, the carbon six was picky, could have been many causes, but shot good with it's preferred load, but did seem to open up after a few rounds. The proof I never shot enough to warm it up, I was pretty careful with it. I have a Bartlien barrel on order now, so plan on testing it a little, but it will be a bigger 30 cal, so I'm not going to be too mean to it.

For me personally, the reason for carbon wrap is to get a sub 3 lb barrel that has a large enough muzzle diameter to thread 5/8x24 and have a solid shoulder to mount a supressor on. If ultimate light weight was the goal, I would get a #1 or #2 contour steel barrel and be lighter than any contour carbon barrel of the same length.

Last edited:
A lot of excellent answers:

Bigger diameter for cans and breaks without the increase in weight

Stiff for weight, can make tuning easier.

Eye appeal. I like the look but I like fluted barrels too.

I've got several carbons and for testing I've run strings of 10 and got the barrel very hot. I've not noticed walking like I see with lighter contour barrels. Shooting strings of 5 I never see walking. If the rifle is capable of stacking 3, it'll stack 5. I've stacked much more than that but it's kind of pointless for a hunter. To me it's worth it but the benefit is arguable unless you shoot suppressed. The advantage is a thicker barrel for threading without increasing weight.

You could send that barrel to twisted barrel and have it fluted. They took seven ounces from my ultralight. Could take more more from a heavier one.

Cost is under $200.

FLUTED BARREL-> My 6.5 PRC Browning X-Bolt Pro has a thin, fluted barrel. The first 3 shots are very accurate, as in 1/2 to 3/4 MOA. After the barrel heats up I get 1 1/4 MOA groups.
Are ya gonna need more than three quick shots when hunting? Doubtful.

BUT... I I was getting a carbon wrapped barrel there is a Canadian "barrel wrapper" who has had excellent results with reliability because they use a low amount of resin which keeps CF delamination from the barrel to virtually zero, unlike some other "barrel wrappers". Can't think of the name offhand.

I am convinced the 2 current cf barrels I currently have (benchmark, proof) heat faster. Given 5mins between shots they are more accurate than me, but quick 3 shot groups are nothing to write home about. My next build will be wearing a good ol bartlein.

Mirage off of the barrel can be an issue after the 2nd shot with a CF barrel. It will depend on what cartridge it is along with what powder is being used.