Carbon or Steel?

OK, I'm sure this has already been around, ran into the ground, and you guys are probably tired of it, but I'm shocked that I can't find any YouTube videos on the pros and cons of carbon versus steel. I just bought my first rifle with a carbon barrel and I'm not sure what I think so far. The first two or three shots are cutting the hole and then after that I just pray I can shoot MOA. My dry fires look great.
It's my understanding that the rifle has a thinner than usual stainless barrel wrapped around with carbon fiber. If that's the case, wouldn't the thinner barrel heat up very quickly and then stay insulated by the carbon fiber? Are any competition or match shooters using carbon? Is anybody in the ELR world using carbon? This is a hunting rifle but I want to be able to go to the range and shoot three or four 5round groups at different targets/distances but I just can't seem to keep it accurate past three shots. I don't want to show up looking like Mr. Gadget, but I'm thinking about buying a barrel cooling fan contraption so I don't have to wait 20 minutes for each shot if that's the issue.
I just got the rifle in a couple weeks ago(used) and picked up two boxes of ammo off the shelf to just get acquainted with the system until my ammo arrives here in a couple days. Currently it is 165g Hornady American Whitetail and 165g Federal W/ Barnes TSX from the store for just getting used to the gun with. Waiting for my 5 boxes of ELDX 200g to get here before I chrono and get dope. So, is carbon really good for a few shots and then it's time to put it up? I'm ok with that if that's the case. Just wondering if it's me…

Christensen Custom 300WSM
Harris Bipod
Christensen Brake
Gen II Razor
Warne 34's
Rem 700
Christensen Dirty little secret, So I have friend that has a business that balances and trues motor and any other kind of equipment and he went to Christensen and did testing for them and he told me the way they wrap their barrels actually keeps the heat in instead of allowing it to escape. Take this for what it is worth.
I talked with Seekin rep. at one of the gun shows and he told me the same thing BUT he said that carbon wrapped barrels are the big craz and so they offer it to their customers because that is what they want but he said a Steel barrel is more accurate.

I have 300 PRC with HCA carbon barrel. The only difference for the same contour is that I can is that carbon barrels take longer to cool down. Way longer. On the outside is cold but on the inside is still hot. For a hunting rifle, personally, I don't care about groups of more than 3 rounds. Even 3 rounds are lots. YOu never need 3 shots to kill a game.

Well, I bought this gun for hunting and for shooting at the range but I guess I'll just have to get used to it being a hunting rifle only and I guess I'll just have to build that .338 for the range that I've been wanting to build. Major bummer.🤣

I've been carbon curious but never went through with it. I'm a lite shooter but hunt hard. I was worried I'd break the carbon on a rock if the barrel fell over. Probably would never happen but I couldn't get it out of my head. Also I've worked with carbon products exposed to the sun and I get itchy just thinking about that.

I've been carbon curious but never went through with it. I'm a lite shooter but hunt hard. I was worried I'd break the carbon on a rock if the barrel fell over. Probably would never happen but I couldn't get it out of my head. Also I've worked with carbon products exposed to the sun and I get itchy just thinking about that.

Good marketing here haha

I'm glad the barrel is tough, but I'd sure like to see it group tighter than that. Fair to say the barrel was screwed on in the field though.

Well, I bought this gun for hunting and for shooting at the range but I guess I'll just have to get used to it being a hunting rifle only and I guess I'll just have to build that .338 for the range that I've been wanting to build. Major bummer.🤣

Just use it as your "daily cold bore challenge rifle". This will gain confidence in it, but you are right, you need to take others with you to shoot while letting it cool.

Recent Posts