Carbon or Steel?

I've got a couple CA rifles, both will make tiny groups well into the damage area of heat. I tried 8 shot strings just to see if they would walk but didnt. Might check the action contact to the stock. Factory attempt at bedding was nothing short of horrible and the action screws on mine liked 60 inlbs on front 45 on back

Great point! I'm gonna take it over to my builder this afternoon to have them look at that and some other stuff.

I have 5 carbons and none have an issue walking. I have shot strings of 10-12 but don't do that in general with my hunters and expensive carbon barrels but I have done it with every one of them at least once to confirm. I have steel trainers and PRS comp rifles for high count strings. I do shoot strings of 5 with a carbon for load development and accuracy confirmation etc and see zero issues walking. Now I also run a suppressor on my carbons 100% of the time and those things show mirage in a horrible way. So unless I have a strong side wind I know I'll get a lot of heat coming into the scope view. Sometimes its so bad that shooting that string is worthless. I'll either stove pipe the rifle with the bolt open and clear the excessive heat for a min or time the heat wave so the target is clear.

You take a BIGGER chance of getting a less than stellar product from a factory rifle, which may be the reason the rifle was up for sale. Keep in mind, not all rifles factory or custom will shoot factory ammo in little bitty holes…just saying not to expect miracles with that factory ammo. Good luck on your venture.

You take a BIGGER chance of getting a less than stellar product from a factory rifle, which may be the reason the rifle was up for sale. Keep in mind, not all rifles factory or custom will shoot factory ammo in little bitty holes…just saying not to expect miracles with that factory ammo. Good luck on your venture.
I agree with Rick Richard on factory ammo.
Do you have a friend that reloads?If you buy the components maybe he will reload for you.
I have done it for years with several friends but I won"t(Can't)use my own components.Not being greedy but careful that I don't run out of any components.

I'm saving all my brass. Let's put it that way. Once I get a couple hundred brass, my buddy told me that he will help me reload if I go out and buy a couple things.

I'm saving all my brass. Let's put it that way. Once I get a couple hundred brass, my buddy told me that he will help me reload if I go out and buy a couple things.

If possible, try to keep that brass separated by lots. I know it sounds painful, but they are different, not different bad, just different. It can show up in your loads. Just like changing from one box of bullets half way through to the another box because you ran out. Even though they are the same brand, size, length, weight, lot, etc. They can sometimes shoot different POI. It's all voodoo man...

With that said, if factory was cheap enough and consistent enough, I may just shoot it, but it never is...Match grade anything you just get more bang for your buck if you roll your own...