Carbon or Steel Shorty

I like the short barrels (have two of them) but miss the velocity potential. The shorties are really great when hunting out of a blind. When I'm out west and the potential distances are longer I'm leaning more toward 24" and 26" cf barrels (suppressed) to get all the velocity that I can with big heavy bullets and still keep the rifle package balanced. Take a look at the Kifaru Gun Bearer sling, it positions the barrel differently so it's not getting hung up in overhanging limbs when you're in timber, and you can still get the rifle out pretty quick. My 24" barrel suppressed rifle has the muzzle at about shoulder height when carrying with this sling.
I use the kifaru gun bearer and have 24" barrels plus 9" can. I would greatly prefer the combo to be 4-6" shorter. I dont like having to look around the can. My next rifle will have a 18-20" barrel that is still more than capable of 1000 yd shots

From Bartlein site-

Should suppressors be put on any barrel contour?

No. If you are using a suppressor on a heavier barrel, it will typically shoot better. This is because you are hanging a heavy object on the end of the barrel it affects the harmonic vibrations of the barrel. If you are using a suppressor we don't like seeing it being put on anything smaller than a medium palma contour.

palma_contours-1.png

From Bartlein site-

Should suppressors be put on any barrel contour?

No. If you are using a suppressor on a heavier barrel, it will typically shoot better. This is because you are hanging a heavy object on the end of the barrel it affects the harmonic vibrations of the barrel. If you are using a suppressor we don't like seeing it being put on anything smaller than a medium palma contour.

View attachment 422401
Good info from a good source, I've learned a lot talking with Frank Green

I accept defeat. Frank is the righteous know it all legitimate subject matter expert. This being said, I will still stand on the fact that I have not had an issue with my set up, maybe I'm just lucky. Defeat nonetheless.

I have a 24" proof sendero light on my 7mm blaser and it has been extremely consistent with the banish 30 can on out to 1000 yards
That's what bums me out.
Some have not had issues.
Mine is a 280AI 24" Sendero Lite that shoots great alone (1/2 MOA). When I put my Omega...it jumps to 2 MOA.
When I put it (Omega) on my full sendero or steel barrels.... I get a normal slight poi shift to correct but shoots outstanding groups.

My buddy has a Savage Ultra-lite that has basically the same Sendero Lite and acts exactly the same as mine.

Dam harmonics, I guess.
It appears well floated but with the extra weight and lack of rigidity, it may be banging around in the barrel channel.

**I did speak to a carbon barrel maker who said they will not thread a lightweight carbon barrel at the shop any longer than 22" because they can't guarantee it to remain consistent.

That my friends is how my luck runs.

That's what bums me out.
Some have not had issues.
Mine is a 280AI 24" Sendero Lite that shoots great alone (1/2 MOA). When I put my Omega...it jumps to 2 MOA.
When I put it (Omega) on my full sendero or steel barrels.... I get a normal slight poi shift to correct but shoots outstanding groups.

My buddy has a Savage Ultra-lite that has basically the same Sendero Lite and acts exactly the same as mine.

Dam harmonics, I guess.
It appears well floated but with the extra weight and lack of rigidity, it may be banging around in the barrel channel.

**I did speak to a carbon barrel maker who said they will not thread a lightweight carbon barrel at the shop any longer than 22" because they can't guarantee it to remain consistent.

That my friends is how my luck runs.
There's a very good chance you just need to tune that load back into shape. You may pick up a touch of speed with a suppressor and takes you off the node, etc. Or it's not that at all...just a guess.
A suppressor can change so much or so little about how a load shoots, if it affects POI or not etc and what happens seems so random. My 24" proof sendero 300 PRC shoots slightly better groups with a can ,but about 8 inches high!

There's a very good chance you just need to tune that load back into shape. You may pick up a touch of speed with a suppressor and takes you off the node, etc. Or it's not that at all...just a guess.
A suppressor can change so much or so little about how a load shoots, if it affects POI or not etc and what happens seems so random. My 24" proof sendero 300 PRC shoots slightly better groups with a can ,but about 8 inches high!
That's what I was thinking too. My banish adds 50 fps on my 7mm and 35 fps on my 6cm. I would try some load tweaking.

Yes sir...
My 24" Proof Sendero's shoot great with suppressors.
My 24" Sendero Lite sucks with suppressor.

I did some load adjustment and couldn't get it near as good as the best load without.
Has to be a harmonics thing that I will no longer try to work out.
The best I could get was 1 MOA after tuning with suppressor but totally screwed my group size when I removed my suppressor so I just went back to my best load and don't use the suppressor on this one.

I should have gone with 20" to reduce whip in the Sendero Lite but wanted the length to keep velocity.